The UMNO General Assembly 2006 has ended. As always some leaders are vowing with life and blood to protect Malay interest… can’t blame them, it’s a Malay congress after all, they need to show their aggressiveness towards the others to fulfill their own agenda; that’s politic.

It has been unofficially confirmed that there will be no deadline for NEP. Good to hear that, honestly. At least we can be sure of UMNO’s intention to utilize on the racial biased economic policy until they can get what they want, so call balanced wealth between races in the country.

It has been 35 years since the implementation of NEP, and the success has been minimal according to government stats. I can’t stop myself from feeling that NEP has been failed all these years. Let me rephrase it, NEP itself is a good idea, but those who implement it have failed miserably.

I support the idea of bridging the gap between rich and poor, and between races in a proper way. What I see is however a small group of Malays have been getting rich and richer while nothing much has been done to help the rural poor, and that sucks. Even from this UMNO assembly, I’ve read lots of proposals and ideas on how to make Malays rich, but nothing concrete about helping the poor.

Malays are still the lucky group; at least they are the majority and have the government, or UMNO to be precise, to protect them. The unlucky group is the poor from minority races; mind that Chinese, Indians and other races have lots of poor too, and they don’t have the political power to protect them.

I am already at the state of laziness to question any government policies; I know that’s nothing much that can be changed. Btw if you are a non-Malay like me, anything you said against the current protective policy will be asking for war… it’s not my words, it’s theirs.

Reading this blog post itself is laughable enough, it’s saddening for the need to address our fellow Malaysians as the others. Wouldn’t it be nice if we can simply call each other Malaysians? I guess it’s not going to happen anytime soon.

16 Responses to “Thoughts from UMNO General Assembly 2006”

1. toniXe Says:
    November 18th, 2006 at 7:59 pm

wat can anybodi say? just laugh lah as u say

but in the meantime Bodowi has shown his true colors ( ……none !)

November 19th, 2006 at 9:25 am

It’s not too bad to show nothing… seriously. At least it shows more steadiness in Badawi than other aggressive leaders.

I have mentioned this at my blog for a few times… Badawi is probably not the perfect choice as PM, but seeing the other options we have from the current UMNO leadership… I would rather see Badawi to hang on as PM for at least another term.

3. Neednotknow Says:
    November 19th, 2006 at 3:26 pm

While Malaysia fiddles, its opportunities are running dry
    Michael Backman
    November 15, 2006
    The Age.

MALAYSIA’S been at it again, arguing about what proportion of the economy each of its two main races — the Malays and the Chinese — owns. It’s an argument that’s been running for 40 years. That wealth and race are not synonymous is important for national cohesion, but really it’s time Malaysia grew up.

It’s a tough world out there and there can be little sympathy for a country that prefers to argue about how to divide wealth rather than get on with the job of creating it.

The long-held aim is for 30 per cent of corporate equity to be in Malay hands, but the figure that the Government uses to justify handing over huge swathes of public companies to Malays but not to other races is absurd. It bases its figure on equity valued, not at market value, but at par value.

Many shares have a par value of say $1 but a market value of $12. And so the Government figure (18.9 per cent is the most recent figure) is a gross underestimate.

Last month a paper by a researcher at a local think-tank came up with a figure of 45 per cent based on actual stock prices. All hell broke loose. The paper was withdrawn and the researcher resigned in protest. Part of the problem is that he is Chinese.

“Malaysia boleh!” is Malaysia’s national catch cry. It translates to “Malaysia can!” and Malaysia certainly can. Few countries are as good at wasting money. It is richly endowed with natural resources and the national obsession seems to be to extract these, sell them off and then collectively spray the proceeds up against the wall.

This all happens in the context of Malaysia’s grossly inflated sense of its place in the world.

Most Malaysians are convinced that the eyes of the world are on their country and that their leaders are world figures. This is thanks to Malaysia’s tame media and the bravado of former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad. The truth is, few people on the streets of London or New York could point to Malaysia on a map much less name its prime minister or capital city.

As if to make this point, a recent episode of The Simpsons features a newsreader trying to announce that a tidal wave had hit some place called Kuala Lumpur. He couldn’t pronounce the city’s name and so made up one, as if no-one cared anyway. But the joke was on the script writers — Kuala Lumpur is inland.

Petronas, the national oil company is well run, particularly when compared to the disaster that passes for a national oil company in neighbouring Indonesia. But in some respects, this is Malaysia’s problem. The very success of Petronas means that it is used to underwrite all manner of excess.

The KLCC development in central Kuala Lumpur is an example. It includes the Twin Towers, the tallest buildings in the world when they were built, which was their point.

It certainly wasn’t that there was an office shortage in Kuala Lumpur — there wasn’t.

Malaysians are very proud of these towers. Goodness knows why. They had little to do with them. The money for them came out of the ground and the engineering was contracted out to South Korean companies.

They don’t even run the shopping centre that’s beneath them. That’s handled by Australia’s Westfield.

Next year, a Malaysian astronaut will go into space aboard a Russian rocket — the first Malay in space. And the cost? $RM95 million ($A34.3 million), to be footed by Malaysian taxpayers. The Science and Technology Minister has said that a moon landing in 2020 is the next target, aboard a US flight. There’s no indication of what the Americans will charge for this, assuming there’s even a chance that they will consider it. But what is Malaysia getting by using the space programs of others as a taxi service? There are no obvious technical benefits, but no doubt Malaysians will be told once again, that they are “boleh”. The trouble is, they’re not. It’s not their space program.

Back in July, the Government announced that it would spend $RM490 million on a sports complex near the London Olympics site so that Malaysian athletes can train there and “get used to cold weather”. But the summer Olympics are held in the summer. So what is the complex’s real purpose? The dozens of goodwill missions by ministers and bureaucrats to London to check on the centre’s construction and then on the athletes while they train might provide a clue.

Bank bale outs, a formula one racing track, an entire new capital city — Petronas has paid for them all. It’s been an orgy of nonsense that Malaysia can ill afford.

Why? Because Malaysia’s oil will run out in about 19 years. As it is, Malaysia will become a net oil importer in 2011 — that’s just five years way.

So it’s in this context that the latest debate about race and wealth is so sad.

It is time to move on, time to prepare the economy for life after oil. But, like Nero fiddling while Rome burned, the Malaysian Government is more interested in stunts like sending a Malaysian into space when Malaysia’s inadequate schools could have done with the cash, and arguing about wealth distribution using transparently ridiculous statistics.

That’s not Malaysia “boleh”, that’s Malaysia “bodoh” (stupid).

email: michaelbackman@yahoo.com

4. Patrick Says:
    November 20th, 2006 at 1:12 am

Sadness and sacarstically to say, soon there will be a doom for this country.

If everything to be practiced emotionally, or not base on rationally thinking.

Send my sorrowness to Abdullah, with my condolence that they are making a coffin for this nation.

No one desire to fight for each others, however, we shall work for this country.

Rest in peace, Malaysia

November 20th, 2006 at 9:27 am

Patrick… no need to send condolence to Abdullah, it’s the common citizens that will suffer first for whatever mistake the government makes.

6. Really man Says:
    November 21st, 2006 at 11:05 am

Jee..book your air ticket already???? one way ticket.

November 22nd, 2006 at 7:16 pm

Rm… not yet. Despite my often criticism for Malaysia government, sometimes when I sit down and think seriously… there are not many options for migration; we can’t guarantee that things can be better overseas than in Malaysia don’t we?

November 23rd, 2006 at 12:29 am

Yeapz Jee..same way of thinking over here for me….other nations might not readily accept us and the style of living might not be the type one might want…lots of things to think about

November 23rd, 2006 at 3:03 am

True.

10. andyjay Says:
    November 29th, 2006 at 11:36 am

please am looking for good email adress

11. andyjay Says:
    November 29th, 2006 at 11:49 am

am looking for those people that they are doing business

November 29th, 2006 at 12:58 pm

andyjay… I’ll give you a big “Huh?”

13. Ramesh Rajaduray Says:
    January 28th, 2007 at 9:18 am

Hi Joshy,

Let me share my personal experience with you. I am a Malaysian Indian. I lived in Australia for around 10 years, and the US for around 7 years. In the US I was doing my PhD, then I went out to work. I was in a US$90k job, providing technical advice to counsel on patent litigation.

After Sept 11 it became really difficult to get a green card, so I decided to migrate to Canada. I moved here in Nov, have been looking for a job and I’ve had some interviews. One was successful, but one of my references didn’t reply in time so the company gave the job to someone else. However I am interviewing with another company now, so I hope that turns out well.

The point is: The US or Canada or Australia is not perfect. However, many people from India and China have done extraordinarily well in the US. I have friends from India who did MBAs in top schools (Stanford, Berkeley) and went out to fantastic jobs. Per capita, Indian Americans are the richest racial group in the US. A lot of the top guys in Silicon Valley are Indians (first generation or born in the US)

Also, let’s face the facts: Condoleeza Rice, the US Secretary of State is a black woman, who previously was the Chancellor of Stanford. Granted we might not like her politics, but let’s face it: Would you ever see someone from a minority in Malaysia end up in such prominent positions? Try finding one minority Chancellor or Vice-Chancellor in a Malaysian university.

Colin Powell, the previous US Secretary of State is also black. He was the US military Chief of Staff. Again, would you ever see someone from a minority get that far in Malaysia? The current Canadian Governor-General (Michelle Jean) is a black lady. The previous one (Adrienne Clark) was a Chinese lady.

If you do want to live in another country, you have to learn to adapt. Things are different, learn to accept that they are different and see how you can live in the country. It also comes down to you: Sure, you won’t be able to get roti canai at 3 am. However I don’t get treated like a second-class citizen even though I am from a minority. I don’t live in fear of some extremist Muslim mob rampaging through the streets of KL killing non-Muslims.

One final point: I’ve actually visited Silicon Valley plenty of times as I have friends there. Whenever I meet someone there, they always ask me: “Are you some kind of computer engineer or software engineer?” I wonder whether people in KL have the same assumptions about Indians.

January 29th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Nice comments Ramesh, glad to hear that you are settling well in Canada… good luck in finding your job.

It’s a matter of choice really… you mentioned it quite right about adaptation; Canada or other countries might be better than Malaysia in some sense, but perhaps not everyone can adapt to the environment.

I can’t really agree that we won’t be treated as 2nd class citizens in other countries; there will still be racial biased, but at least we will have a more equal chance to get to the top fair and square.

15. Journal of Ruth » Blog Archive » To migrate or not migrate? Says:
    June 10th, 2007 at 5:34 pm

[…] main motivation is fear and despair. Thanks to a series of events (the racist proclamations at the 2006 UMNO General Assembly, the Lina Joy case), I’m more and more convinced that if things do not change in Malaysia our […]

16. Charly Says:
    December 16th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Funny what you Singaporeans make of it. But pretty spot on – eepcxt for ‘5. Return of Anwar Ibrahim’ (he’s a rotten egg, we just want to shore up a stronger opposition), and ‘the Malaysians should give a standing ovation to Pak Lah for allowing democracy to flourish and run its own course, for allowing the people the freedom to choose their national leaders’. We had the audacity to vote for the opposition IN SPITE of the blackmailing, threats, gerrymandering, dirty tricks, media bias, and the stifling of democracy.