Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad selling breadMalaysia former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has a new venture, running a Japanese-style bakery called The Loaf.

Tun M owns a 51% stake in a join venture with a Japanese partner. The first of its branch is opening at Telaga Harbour Park, Langkawi (this weekend).

The company plans to expand by setting up shops via franchising in Kuala Lumpur, Bali, Phuket and Singapore.. and ultimately in Tokyo, London and New York.

Looks like our 81-year-old Tun M still has plenty of ambition burning within, just wondering why he is starting with bakery..

It’s not something new for Tun M, I remember from my primary text book that Tun M was once selling fried bananas at roadside (if not mistaken during WW2).

So are you ready for some Tun M bread and pastry?

[more news on Reuters and TheStar]

15 Responses to “Tun Mahathir to sell bread at The Loaf”

1. Malaysia Property Says:
    July 28th, 2006 at 1:05 pm

wow….pastries…..i think he have nothing better to do already lor

2. Tina Says:
    July 28th, 2006 at 1:41 pm

It’s better than stealing or begging. Nothing wrong with selling bread no matter WHO you are. We should not have the 3rd world mentality!

July 28th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Did I sound sarcastic or any? I wouldn’t mind selling bread myself, and certainly won’t mind Tun M opening a bakery.

Although baking is huge business nowadays.. I’m seriously wondering what prompted Tun M to open a bakery instead of other options.

July 28th, 2006 at 4:02 pm

hmm mebbe cos it is something very close to the people and something almost everybody eats? hehe mebbe can give him chance to visit the people

5. ganchan Says:
    July 29th, 2006 at 11:50 pm

yummy. I like japanese bread. Maybe the dough/yeast or baking technique is different. I noticed that the texture is a bit different- slightly more chewy compared to our local stuff :)

July 30th, 2006 at 3:48 pm

Joshy.. visit people? Not that he’s baking himself.. perhaps he chose it by chance, people are offering him a deal and he accepted it..

ganchan.. is it? I wonder if there is a real Japanese bakery in KL yet? Must try if got chance.

7. ganchan Says:
    July 30th, 2006 at 11:21 pm

dunno if there is a japanese style bakery in KL yet :P
    I miss the days I spent in Japan…if you buy the bread at the eki (train stations) near closing time, they’re usually 50% off.. A great way to survive if one is a cheapskate. ^_^

July 31st, 2006 at 12:54 pm

Reminded me of Taipan, USJ.. got a bakery also 50% off after 10pm, not sure if it’s Japanese style though.

9. Mansor Abd Samat Says:
    May 28th, 2007 at 4:06 pm

In Jaybee the bakery business named Season having almost 30 outlet, turn over for each outlet estimated RM 500k monthly meaning that all together RM 1.5M monthly… quite big men… This business not petty men… rome are built in one day… But i believe Tun will make big… for sure Congratulation…

May 28th, 2007 at 11:17 pm

Well… King have probably 50+ outlets nationwide; it’s certainly not a small business… just wondered why he chose to start a bakery.

11. Johanthan Tan KH Says:
    July 21st, 2007 at 1:26 pm

I will most defi.. go and try…

he is a man who has travelled far and wide, his fav jap. resturant is inagiku in tokyo as mention in his book”Globization”

now we all know his fav. jap bakery… anywas i hope he is keepin well and about. Selamat and stay healthy!!!

jtan

12. munauwir Says:
    August 27th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I’m very interested to joint venture with this business to panatrade market worldwide.Hopefully can contact me asap to expand the business.thanks

13. hamba allah Says:
    September 9th, 2010 at 12:53 am

sy sdih tengok the loaf buang kan roti yg msih elok untuk d mkn…..pkir la 1 ari nty klu ngara kita jd mcm palestin…bru nak ingt roti yg d buang 2……

14. hamba allah Says:
    September 9th, 2010 at 12:55 am

sy hrap phak atsan the loaf buat yg terbaik…..jgn buang lg roti 2….sy mrayu sngt2……nty kat akhrat spe nak jwap……

15. hamba allah Says:
    September 9th, 2010 at 12:57 am

selamat hari raya buat warga the loaf….maaf zahir dan batin….