Most Malaysian will know about our darkest history after independence on May 13, 1969.. the racial violence that claim hundred(s) of casualties.

Fact is however, how many of the younger generations know what exactly happened on that day? What triggered the violence? What happen to the victims? What happened to the villains?

The May 13 incident was almost 4 decades ago, half of the current Malaysia population probably was not even borned back then. With government reluctant to speak of the issue in details for all these years, Malaysians are living in ignorance from the real the truth.

Recently there’s a UPM textbook chaos where it’s said that the teachings are distorted from the original May 13 incident. I am wondering what ARE the real facts about the incident instead?

The story I know.. probably way distorted from the fact, but this is what I know..

1969 election, Chinese opposition parties won bigger than expected and started a parade (May 12) that angered the Malays.

Some UMNO leaders than organized retaliate parades the other day (May 13) and that’s when riots happened.

Then comes the folks stories of parang (a type of knife) killing, massive rapping, fire burning.. some one sided massacre on Chinese citizens in Kuala Lumpur area, followed by a nationwide curfew.

So how many points should I score for Malaysian history?

The May 13 stories created a few trauma for me since childhood, it’s pretty laughable but I had phobia with parang for years, and I still need 2nd thoughts of getting into any Malay kampung.

Ok what happened after the May 13 incident probably can be tracked from textbook, with the ‘Rukun Negara’, NEP, ISA etc.. Malaysians seem to live in peace of the next few decades, the only racial clash probably was in Kampung Medan just a few years back.

Are we living in real peace? I don’t know, but I don’t think so. They are still too little interaction and understanding between different race, religion and culture. It’s probably right to say that Malaysians are living in tolerance nowadays, but what if some parties decided that they don’t want to tolerate anymore in some critical issues?

Back to the title.. what really happened in the May 13 incident in 1969? What happen to the victims? What happened to the villains? There’s not much info when I google it, kinda funny when the most detailed data are from wikipedia and not from any government or scholar text.

So where can I find the real facts? Libraries? Reference books? Real person that survived the 513? I want to know..

91 Responses to “What really happened in the May 13, 1969 Incident?”

July 22nd, 2006 at 8:30 am

Its the same thing that was threatened a few years ago during your country’s elections wasn’t it? When PAS was quite a strong force and wanting to seize control of a lot of states..i am sure that tension must have been high during that time.

The same thing during the Maria Hertogh riots in Singapore..its sad though in Singapore our govt is using the riots that happened before to control us using a lot of different methods.

I am sure you would be able to find out more about the real facts of the May 13 event…i maybe go and ask around for you also?even though i am too young to remember and i am Singaporean too…these thoughts really haunt my mind too..i still remember receiving those emails of pics of decapitated chinese during the indonesia riots..

July 22nd, 2006 at 11:08 am

Thanks for your offer Joshy, but no thanks at the moment.

I’ll try to find some books from library and bookstores and see if I can get a clearer picture of the incident. Hope that my government are not stubborn enough to ban all the books related to May 13.

3. WTJ Says:
    July 22nd, 2006 at 3:48 pm

it’s classified, you can never know

July 22nd, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Yapz Jee,i sure hope you can be able to find the books that have related information on the incident…because its important to leave something for the generations after us to know the atrocities that were committed and for them to know that racial harmony is very important indeed

July 22nd, 2006 at 11:39 pm

WTJ.. we don’t know it yet, at least give it a try. Want to join my hunt?

Joshy.. exactly. As Malaysian we deserve and should know about what really happen in our country history, good or bad. By learning about the real past we can avoid something unwanted in the future.. hopefully.

July 23rd, 2006 at 12:34 am

Yapz yapz..its exactly like the Japanese education ministry whitewashing the japanese atrocities in their textbooks not allowing the younger generation to know more about their past and stop them from doing any of that in the future.

I do hope that you find the information you need,because knowledge is power,not necessarily in militaristic way but in a good way.

Cheerios man pal..do hope you have a good weekend…always nice to read your posts

July 23rd, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Thanks Joshy, it’s a good weekend indeed.

8. alicia Says:
    July 26th, 2006 at 10:24 am

-.- sounds scarry.. dowan it to repeat

July 26th, 2006 at 3:33 pm

alicia.. off course no one would like to see it happening again. Just that hiding the facts are not always the best effort to prevent similar incident.. we have to learn from our past.

10. jimmy Says:
    July 26th, 2006 at 6:11 pm

ask your parents(age > 50)….they’ll be able to tell..no need to search…

July 27th, 2006 at 12:32 pm

jimmy.. different people will have different version of stories.

Malays will most likely say that it’s Chinese fault, Chinese say it’s Malay’s fault..

As I’m from Ipoh, there’s not much believable truth from my parents.. what they know are from rumours and news from KL during those days.

What I hope is to find information from people that are actually in KL during that period.. especially those politicians that’s involved in the chaos.

12. Wong TC Says:
    July 29th, 2006 at 10:32 pm

I oso wanna know about the truth.Bt i think it’s quite hard to find info related to it.

July 30th, 2006 at 3:46 pm

It’s not easy.. I can’t find anything really useful from bookstore yet.

14. Dave Ong Says:
    August 7th, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Hi Jee,

I m actually a Malaysian Student studying in Australia!!! After so many years in Australia, i do planned to go home and serve the country because this is the place i was borned and raised and the most important thing i love malaysia . Unfortunately, how could i work and stay in such an so called “democratic and peaceful multi-racial country” you probably figure out the reason behind these, if and only if my name changed into “Mohd. Sth”

August 7th, 2006 at 9:49 pm

Dave.. I got your point. I have seen my friends and relatives moving abroad looking for better (or equal) living.

Even myself are at the cross-junction more than a few times, to decide on staying or moving.. but just like you said, it’s the place we borned and raised, I do have love for this nation, and willing to contribute in making it a better place.

Malaysia despite some debatable systems, still have something to offer for everyone regardless of Ong or Mohd.. just that some would have to work harder than others.

Dave, do comeback and give your belove country a chance.

16. TakeYourChanceNow Says:
    August 8th, 2006 at 7:34 am

If you have a chance to leave, go, no matter how patriotic. The country is always here. You know what is going to happen? When you decide to come back later, you may find the country too arabic for your liking. Notice I said arabic and not islamic. That’s where the beloved country is heading. Regards

August 8th, 2006 at 10:09 am

There’s always a chance to leave, but if I am going to leave, I probably won’t be back again. It’s not just a matter of patriotic, this is my home and it’s quite pity if I am to be leaving without working for other alternatives.

I get your Arabic point, some Malay friends of mine have said of it and voiced their concerns too.. that the religion they knew are not the same as what happening nowadays.

18. Need not to know Says:
    August 8th, 2006 at 1:09 pm

May 13th happened when I was young enough to understand. My relatives from KL came back telling the horrendous stories that happened in KL. You cannot find or search this information anywhere in the internet or bookstore except if you ask your old folks and then keep it yourselves. Just look at UPM monkey show… do you see such new in our local mass media… and thanks God the freedom of internet today compare it in the 60′s.

August 8th, 2006 at 9:39 pm

I know it’s not easy to find real trustable resource, so far I’ve managed to found just one probably useful book about May 13 incident.. on the process of reading and hopefully could provide some useful details in this matter.

Freedom of internet? Ermm I wonder how long will it last.. Malaysia government are planning on internet censorship now.

20. YourFriend Says:
    August 17th, 2006 at 12:44 am

I was looking for information regarding May 13 1969 when I found this wonderful blog of yours…

then went on to read “about” you saying you are a freelancer and all…

very interesting… I like it.

I like the way you live your life. And I hope to be your friend. I am from Klang…so…not too far from you I guess.

OK… back to May 13 1969… from these 2 articles that I found…I think you can pretty know the “truth”… at least a summary of things :

Wikipedia and Tunku Abdul Rahman’s own writing on the incident.

Again… would like to be your friend. :)

21. YourFriend Says:
    August 17th, 2006 at 12:45 am

Anyway…I think both of us share the same age… :)

cheers.

August 18th, 2006 at 12:23 am

YF.. thanks for your links, I’ve read that before writing the post, but as you can see both pieces of info are just very ‘surface’ and provide nothing in depth about the May 13 incident.

I am still digging for more, one good news is that a Malaysian film maker is said to be making a May 13 related movie, will see if I can assist in somewhere and learn more about our past.

I won’t mind having a new friend though, contact me for IM if you want to. Cheers.

23. Past is Past Says:
    August 24th, 2006 at 1:10 pm

Hi Jee,

Digging into May 13 may not be such a wise idea, yes u wish to get to the ‘actual’ facts and reasons, whatever the facts may be..it only brings pain and remind those who has suffered losses esp. loved ones. Hurts will resurface because of your quest for facts.
    Both the articles from Wikipedia and late Tuanku’s memoirs answers the what/why/how.
    I qoute “In 2004, during the UMNO general assembly Badruddin Amiruldin , the current deputy permanent chairman, waved a book on May 13 during his speech and stated “No other race has the right to question our privileges, our religion and our leader”. He also stated that doing so would be similar to “stirring up a hornet’s nest”.

37 yrs has gone but this declaration of “No other race has the right to question our privileges, our religion and our leader” still lives on.

Prayfully the case of Lina Joy won’t ignite/stir the hornet’s nest.!

spread your wings, Jee, move overseas where your talent/freedom of speech won’t be hindered.

August 24th, 2006 at 3:35 pm

Nice words. Actually the recent Lina Joy situation and the reaction towards the article 11 group has sprung my interest further to understand the May 13 incident.

It’s not just about what happened in 1969, I would like to see the difference of mentality back then and now. Is the society still as easily provokable as those days? Are we living in more harmony these days compared to some 37 years ago?

What will guarantee the safety of the community other than making sure everyone keeping quiet on sensitive issues? Because obviously it’s not going to happen, they will always be people that are going to raise voices and opinions.

I want to know if the community these days are mature enough to handle everything with tolerance, and that government will be able to control the situation when some form of race/religion conflict arise. I don’t have answer yet.

Unfairness and freedom of speech are something that I can still bear with, safety and the harmonious of the society are what I’m looking for.

25. Ronny Plasla Says:
    September 7th, 2006 at 5:41 pm

513 ! 513 ! We will never forget it! NEVER !
    What a great pity to my fellow Chinese citizens in Malaysia. I hate the racial discrimination and the qouta system in this country. New Economic Policy is merely a cheating policy at the expense of the Chinese citizens in this country. It is an unfair society with false racial harmony. Datuk Harun bin Idris and those malay extremists like Tun Razak, Tun Ismail etc should be resposible for the incident.

26. how Says:
    September 8th, 2006 at 9:09 pm

I hear this incident when small I hope can get more information or photo for this incident. This incidents detail can get from our countrys library??

27. Anonymous Says:
    September 10th, 2006 at 10:43 am

Selamat,

There is a paper called “Communal Violence in Malaysia 1969: The Poliical Aftermath” by Felix V. Gagliano published by the Ohio University Center for International Studies Southeast Asia Program, 1971, Athen, Ohio. U.S. Library of Congress Catalog Card number is
    78-630854. If you can’t get it any other way, let me know and maybe there is something I can do.

I am an American who served in the Peace Corps in Malaysia from 1969-71. I arrived in August of ’69 when shophouses were still shut tight and tensions were high. I have more to say but it won’t fit

Alexander rhema@Safe-mail.net

September 11th, 2006 at 12:37 am

how.. there are very few archives relating this issue directly, but there’s quite some information that noted the histories in between our independence in 1957 until just months before the May 13 incident, and we can perhaps generate a bit of ideas on what’s possible in leading to the rage.

Thanks for the note Alexander, I’ll try to track it online. Thanks for your contribution during the turmoil in our nation, pardon me but this is the first time I’ve heard of Americans serving our peace ops in that period.. just show that how few infos were released to the public regarding May 13. Thanks again.

29. danny Says:
    September 12th, 2006 at 4:49 pm

hye jee,
    seem u brave enuf to dig this rite… sound cool to me n to be frank, i adore ur spirit ok… but i kinda agree with what mr/miss “past is past” just said in the previous articles.. whatever the reason behind that ugly incident, it will just bring more pain than others…

and for mr ronny plasla, how dare u said sucha thing at the first place? what make u think u have the right to call Tun Razak, Tun Dr. Ismail as malay extremists? they all negarawan to this beloved country and if not becoz of their wise judgement, do you think we all can live in peace n harmony now??
    please mind ur words dude…

u know what, the actual fact is people like u who will turn this country upside down with your hatred feeling n being too emotional.. i’ve lost mine too during that incident but the truth is we cant changed a damn thing ok..
    to put a blame on one society is definitely a wrong move.. for me, both party played an important part to create such an incident.. its take 2 to tango remember??
    bad thing happenned but there is no point to look back without learning anything from it.. take it as a lesson n let make this country a place to be..

September 13th, 2006 at 12:13 pm

Sometimes I wonder if I’m thinking too much or a bit pessimistic, but fact is I’m worry about the future of the nation. Are we heading to the direction that will guarantee a harmonious and prosperous country for the next few decades?

Probably no one would have predicted the May 13 incident a year or two before it happened, and as far as I’m concerned.. it doesn’t require too much of fuel and fire to spark a chaos like that once again.

I am digging this up so that we can learn from what happened in 1969, not to find a scapegoat or culprit to be blamed for, but to learn and avoid repeating all the mistakes that sparked the incident.

31. Anti-NEP Says:
    September 25th, 2006 at 4:24 pm

NEP is killing the racial harmony of this country and it’s economy is in dire straits if NEP is to be continued…

The May 13 riot incident is still considered as an issue for the UMNO to raise political unrest as well as fear among the non-malays for non-malays prefer peace rather than bloodshed unlike malays who only care about themselves only. But what these malays still haven’t realised it yet is that their own kind is screwing them left and right. Khairy kept raising issues that the Chinese in Malaysia are the more fortunate ones but look who’s talking. A millionaire malay’s talking cock that has never even raised one finger to help his own kind. He only knows how to create racial disharmony. this is his only agenda, to get rich further. If the poor Malays still ignorant about this fact,they shd not blamed the Chinese for their own stupidity to follow the advice of their own rich kind.

September 26th, 2006 at 12:49 am

Good point. I don’t mind NEP if it’s really benefiting the nation as a whole, but what is happening now is that a minor group of Malays are getting very rich but most of the other Bumis are not benefiting much from the NEP.

33. alexallied Says:
    September 27th, 2006 at 10:49 pm

count me in.

34. Malay Says:
    October 5th, 2006 at 9:02 pm

… my god.. i never knew abt this.. and why does it relate to lina joy? ur right.. im 12 and i dunt even recall readin anythin bout may 13th in a book or so.. i guess the goverment been doing a pretty good job.. 513.. will be keepin that in mind.

October 6th, 2006 at 1:40 am

May 13 doesn’t relates to Lina Joy, not directly at least.

As said there are not much readings regarding to the event itself, but it prompted me to study some histories in between 1957 independence until late 60s.

Frankly by reading those early histories, no one would have expect the May 13 incident, not before 1967 (that’s another long story). The racial-economic proportions were imbalanced back then, but it’s shocking that it could lead to the May 13 violence.

Malaysians were probably enjoying the most democratic moments in our history in the 60s, somehow the tragedy happened and led to the current political scene, where lots of information are being surpressed for the sake of ‘national unity’.

It’s an argument whether the years (after 1969) of racial biased economic development and supression of speech freedom has bring Malaysians into unity..

I have a feeling that our nation unity nowadays are building on a very fragile basis. While there are not much confrontations between races, there aren’t too much bonding as well.

Something unexpected might trigger something similar to 513 again, we won’t know. We can just hope that the history would not repeat itself, and to do our tiny part to prevent it from happening.

36. Wee Says:
    October 31st, 2006 at 6:48 pm

Do you think the idea of NEP came first of May13?
    I wanted to know more too and that’s how i came to your website.
    I think it is all about politics.

NEP = more votes from the bumi = more political power = create something so they could create NEP? Possible?

My boss was living in Penang during May13, 1969, he was telling the story few months ago. They were rich, non of them could leave their house fear of their lives. They had a family friend who could move more freely than them and the family friend brought them food, that was the only way they survived or they would have died in hunger.

November 1st, 2006 at 2:06 am

Wee.. in general facts, NEP was introduced after May 13 and it makes sense.

Back in 1969 it’s undeniable that the huge economic gap between Chinese and Malay was a contributing factor to the tragedy.

NEP was introduced after May 13 incident aiming to bridge the economic gap, which was actually a good idea. Sad thing though is that NEP was not implemented fair and square; what we see know are small bunch of Malays getting super rich while most of the others are not improving much.

38. Wee Says:
    November 1st, 2006 at 2:25 pm

My friend was telling me what their parents told him:

Before May13, they didn’t feel any racial tension between malay and chinese. They were born and grew up in KL, they knew all the neighbour hood. When the incident happened, they couldn’t recognise those who participate in the riot as KL-ians.

Same as in Ipoh, the older people said that before May13, ther were malays selling food in Chinese restaurants, everybody was livingin peace.

I personally think somebody created the tragedy to impose some new law or to get more supporters for their own political advantage.

November 2nd, 2006 at 3:34 am

From my study Malaysians were quite harmony until 1967, when some riots and confrontations started to occur.

That’s always conspiracy theory surrounding May 13 incident; your idea of somebody creating the riots for political gain is not unheard of, but I find it rather hard to believe; and it’s not fair to put the accusation on our past leaders without solid proof.

Fact is the political scene undergone drastic change since then, the political power used to be more balance compared to the one-sided situation nowadays.

40. Wee Says:
    November 2nd, 2006 at 2:49 pm

Lee Kuan Yew (am not a fan of him) had written something about it in the Singapore history book i think. Read it somewhere.

November 2nd, 2006 at 3:26 pm

Could be, but I wonder if LKY had written anything particularly useful. Singapore was no longer part of Malaysia that time, his words could be bias.

Anyhow, will be nice if I can find something from him.. will try to make some search online.

42. azahar Says:
    November 8th, 2006 at 10:51 pm

can i get a clear pictuer of 13 may 1969 incident

November 8th, 2006 at 11:15 pm

azahar.. I wish I can give you a 100% clear picture, but I can’t. In fact there are not many people in Malaysia that can give you an absolute certain answer about what happened that day and what led to the incident.

44. faaris Says:
    November 10th, 2006 at 3:36 pm

hi.. i’m 12 (yo) malay and i’m sorry to write in malay. Apa yang dapat saya kesan dari all respons adalah ramai yang tidak yakin dengan keharmonian antara kaum dan agama di malaysia sekarang. Bagi saya sebab dan penyelesaian hanya satu. Pemerintah malaysia tidak mengamalkan islam yang sebenar(lengkap) walaupun agama rasmi malaysia adalah islam . Undang -undang islam tidak dijalankan dengan lengkap . non-muslims tidak perlu takut kepada islam , undang-undang islam tidak kejam seperti yang didakwa . bahkan islam adalah agama paling toleransi kepada non-muslims. anda boleh baca ‘fiqh al-islami’ (undang2 islam ) karangan imam syafie . anda tidak akan jumpa satupun undang2 yang berat sebelah…

email your comment to aa_af210@yahoo.com.my

November 10th, 2006 at 11:42 pm

faaris… I do believe that all major religious lead to goodness; but too bad, religions are rarely implemented to its full purpose.

Example Islam, Buddhist and Christian all are against greed; but they are just too many greedy people from every of these 3 major religion.

It should be ok if Malaysia are using the real Islamic teachings, I just don’t have enough confident that the one implementing it can follow the teachings properly.

46. Love Is God Says:
    November 24th, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Hi Jee,
    Give me ur email ID.

November 24th, 2006 at 9:13 pm

Hi Love Is God…

Contact me here…

48. Anonymous Says:
    November 26th, 2006 at 12:50 am

Hi Jee,

My grandpa is one of the witness during the incident. He told us some of the major incidents took place such as “Jalan Pudu/Nyonya area – Tai Wah Cinema (near bus stand)”. Most of the bystander were horrified at that time. Trust me, giving the opportunities you may want to interview some of the senior citizen at that area to find out more about the incident. I trust they will able to assist you. Hope this could lead you to a better path.

November 26th, 2006 at 2:55 am

Thank you for the information. I am still hesitating in interviewing people about the May 13 incident; if it’s something ugly and painful I wonder if it’s right for me to dig their past for more info.

50. anonymous says: Says:
    November 26th, 2006 at 11:41 pm

Hi Jee,
    I can still remenber that horrified incident then, it began in Tai Wah
    cinema at that time it was showing “fu sin te ren” when the show end everyone was leaving it was a mess murder !!!.
    I recall this horrified days, now iam 55

November 27th, 2006 at 6:30 pm

Want to share more info?

52. Anonymous Says:
    November 29th, 2006 at 1:08 pm

Its interesting to see so many people are becoming aware of May 13. What I’ve heard from my grandfather was same. It started in the cinema, and the murders were from a army regiment in NS (cuz only they will have the stomach to chops and slice another human being without regret or remorse), all Malay of course, brought overnight to KL, changed to civillian clothes, and used parang. I was also told that one foreigner managed to video tape the killings outside the theatre from a nearby hotel window, but till this day, no one has seen the video. It MIGHT be available in some archive in US. Imagine that getting out :-P

Personally, in my opinion, May 13 is VERY LIKELY going to happen, only this time they will use automatic weapons. And all the non-malays, especially Chinese, there is not a fucking thing you can do about it. Only option for Chinese to save your hide is get the fuck out of this country while you can. I don’t call my self Malaysian anymore. This is Malay land, they can have it. All of it. We’re more like exparts living and working here now. So start to intro yourself as chinese or indian from Malaysia, and not Malaysian. Cuz when the bullets starts flying, it won’t matter how many times you sing Negaraku or belt-out the Rukun Negara :-)

53. eya Says:
    December 31st, 2006 at 10:40 am

yes i agree with the guy who are saying that may 13 incident is likely to repeat again.There are too many anger and dissatisfaction among malay and chinese that just waiting to be errup.The so called harmonious relationship between malaysian is bullshit.I think that all of us are the cause of it,we did not give tolerance to other race but only the worse of them.It is not fair right???Judging people from their skin colour or their culture or their way os life??From what i know,may 13 happened bcoz the chinese are dissatisfied with the special privileges given to the malay.But did they not get it??The have so much wealth and comfort in their lives in the present live and even back then.What to be angry about??It is a different matter if the chinese live in a wooden house deep in the jungle.If that happen.then they can revolt.But that is not the case right??So,lets just for real be a Malaysian Malaysia. Not a chinese, malay or indian MAlaysian. For our country sake..

December 31st, 2006 at 10:53 am

eya… I don’t think it’s just a race’s fault to cause May 13, lots of people were responsible for it in some way, be it Malay or Chinese.

Your idea that Chinese are solely to be blamed for is harsh… and after all they did nothing to deserve being massacred.

55. jin89 Says:
    February 10th, 2007 at 9:07 pm

hi~~

56. jin89 Says:
    February 10th, 2007 at 9:10 pm

i m doing my malaysian studies assignment, i wan more about May 13th incident,so…..pls don stop giving out ur precious opinion and information ^^

57. jin89 Says:
    February 10th, 2007 at 9:17 pm

1 more thing, i think that non-malay’s special tratment should be abolished,coz it is very unfair 2 other ethnic,xspecially chinese n indians. Some of the malay they didnt study hard but they get all kind of scolarship~~things are totally different for chinese n indians.They hv 2 study hard n in turn out they cant enter any government college or univercity~~Tih land is so rich,y shoul we suffer like this!?

February 10th, 2007 at 9:36 pm

jin89… you should know that the special treatment will never be abolished. Nobody dare to abolish it, not even the most influential Malay political leader.

59. blur Says:
    February 14th, 2007 at 10:09 pm

both paries are at fault for the incident, actually the indonesians started it by pushing the malays to follow what they did by chasing non bumi ppl out of the country, and then it was implemented which unfortunately during the election the DAP/Gerakan faction won.. and they retaliate back by bringing in lorries with Big Brooms into kg baru.

when the malays marched into jln chow kit, they only throw those chinese out and burn their car, they were initialy looking for the Gerakan and Dap ppl but failed to find them, hence they took it upon the other innocent chinese.

Dato harun was claimed to initiate the fight! and yes, the army provided machine guns to the malays in the san peng flats when my uncle got killed.

An account from a local hospital claims that first round casualties with knife wounds were chinese.. second batch were the malays but the third batch were chinese… all gun wounds

they are certain bullshits about the chinese gangs starting the fight!

NO, without them we would probably be exterminated.

for once the diff dialect speaking chinese gangs stood united to protect us!

We ppl must face the fact that our fore fathers did not do our job properly… most ppl in their 50s will say that Tun Tan Cheng Lock was the traitor to the chinese.. but during the meeting gfor independence, how many of the leaders arrive??? only 2.

Chinese back then were plannning to earn enough money and get back home, do you think they wil be bothered to enter the politics?

thats y after independence , the finance minister post has always been chinese untill the fall of Tun Tan Siew Sin which ended the chinese rein of that position which is during the 1969 elections.

btw, i’m chinese.. hehe

60. Middleage Citizen Says:
    February 15th, 2007 at 2:32 am

There are few books that I read way back in 1973 when I came to KL in 1971. However the stories differs from one another depending on how u look at it (how the writer look at it) and what the writer witnessed. Obviously the author of all those books cannot be at all places at one time. I heard stories from the adult Malays from the Malay dominated areas for years. And when I grew up I heard stories from my school mates (my seniors ) who were Chinese and experience the riot when they were only 9 or 10 years old. They dont know why it happened then but when they gre up, they were just like me. It was not a topic that is openly talked about in the presence of both races. Even my parents prohibits us from talking about it. Finally when I was around 24 years old I lived in a 90% Chinese community and pick Cantonese as well. I began to hear stories about it from few Ah Soo’s (those who were close to me). Those who were not close enouigh will not say a word about it. The stories diiffers from one community to the other. One thing I must remind you that the level of thinking of the Chinese then and the Malays then were totally different than now. The fact is, the riots only happened in a highly populated Chinese area. In my hometown,Kedah, we lived like nothing happen. To us it is the problem of some Chinese & some Malays in KL and few isolated incidents in Penang. And it is done by the secret societies and the samseng. It is also important to say that the Malays and the Chinese in the Kampong areas or underdeveloped states mixed well and understand and respect each others culture because they mixed ecspecially the Chinese, they mix a lot with Malays and speak good Malay too. But sad to say, the Chinese in areas like KL where the population is dominated by Chinese, they hardly mixed with Malays except in some schools. They cant even speak Malay. Even untill in 1987 a lot of Chinese middle age cant speak Malay and I end up learning Cantonese. So do the Malays that came to KL or rather migrated to KL. They came from areas where there are no Chinese at all. So, the perception towards each other was wrong. That includes me to a certain extend. And the Chinese in KL then are divided into 3 types if I can use the word. Type 1, the English Educated that studied in English a- English Educated. Type 2, the Chinese educated and the type 3, not educated at all. It is the type 3 Chinese and type 3 Malays that blows up the riots and the fire sparked by irresponsible leaders at that time. For example, if an Educated malay were to see a Chinese guy urine in front of the mentri besar house, he might just say “what a pariah act” and thats all. But the type 3 will interprete it as a Chinese guy representing the majority Chinese people way of thoughts and thinking humiliating the entire malay population. Do you see my point? The answer is when two race with a totally different culture and beleifs live on the same land but do not intergrate (since there is no reason to intergrate) one society feel insecured and the other feel threatened and with majority have low education plus got nothing better to do, they can easily sparked by irresponsible leaders. But when I finally live with the Chinese for more than 5 years and understand thier culture, finally watch Chinese old movies and look beyond the face of the Chinese and treated just like another human being, the perception changed 180 degrees. So do the Chinese when they enbtered boarding school or enter Universities and live with the Malay students. I mean, live, eat and sleep under the same roof.

From my point of view, the incident will never happen again. Even if there are some UMNO Young leaders who were trying to gain cheap popularity (some were not born or only less that 5 years old when it happen), most of us are well educated and understand each others culture much better. Most malaysians look at each other as malaysian rather than that Chinese Boy ot that Indian boy. Most parents at my age prohibit our kids from calling a Chineseboy Budak Cina ot calling the Malay boy Malay Chai (in Cantonese). We educate them to call everyone by thier names. But sad to say there are still living grandparents (including my father in law) that still call the Chinese Boy as Budak Cina or the Indians as Budak Keling. And off course our kids will confuse. How come Grandpa were doing what my father asked me not to do? But it only took us 5 decades after independence to reach to this level. Some developed countries still called some ethnic “imigrants” even though the ethnics were few generations in that country. But there were no racial riots simply because these ethnic were less than 1% of the population. No one feel threatened and no one feel insecured. But look what happened in FIJI? when the Indians rule the country? The Fijians fought. If the Chinese population in Australia for example equals the Australians and the Chinese were controlling the economy? Chances are there will be few irresponsible leaders that will spark racial issues and booom. I visited Gold Coast Australia in 2000 and one of the waitress in the golf club passed a remar: Well, you Asians are pushing us deeper into the woods…….(Most of the landed property in the urban areas are owned by Malaysians, Singaporeans, Japanese, Hongkis and Indonesians)

I beleive these things will disappear from our society once our Children (my kid aged from 4 to 12) grow up with proper education and understanding of other people’s culture and understands the importance of coexistence. The Chinese have no where to go. I dont think they can live in China or even live with the Hongkees. Even if they choose Australia or USA it will nothing like back home in Malaysia….teh tarek…roti canai…lepak sana lepak sini….thats thier lifestyle now..

They will have no time to do things like drawing out parang. They will probably be hitting each other on the blogs (the most) and get into thier sense…..whoever behave or talk racist will be laughed at and will become minorities.

And finally, let the nature take it’s course. I can understand why the Chinese feel unfairly treated (ecspecially those who were born here or even few generations here) who got nothing to do with what the politicians did in the past. But thats facts of life. No will be no such thing as a fair situation. The majority rules even though history have shown that its the minority that is always right. I beleive if we tolerate enough, one day when we find some balance in the things hoped by the NEC, even malays are ashamed to call themselves a Bumiputra status. It is like asking for the orang Asli rights now.Even the NEC failed to meet its objectives but it was not a total failure. From another perspective no similar riots happened after 38 years! Thas very good. Look at Iraq. People killing people every hour or even every minute. They look alike, same religion but still have big problems on each other’s existence. For me, when i have to fill up some forms for example to join a fitness club and I was asked to fill up the column Race:….I always asked back, is it important? U just have to know my religion, thats all for certain reason. It does not matter what race am I. I will never know if my great grandparents is a Chinese or Indian or what..never know. Just like my wife. She is a Eurasian and under the Race column, it is stated as: Lain lain. And I dont insist she admit that she is a Malay. But off course some Malays will say “lupa diri” lah. And as I see it, even though the riot took place in 1969, there are still a lot of Chinese feel safe to get into Kampong Bharu & dato keramat (100% Malay Populated Area) to do business like supplying the groceries. Off course some will not go into those areas just like some Malays will not walk along Petaling Street during the 70′s. Both Malays & Chinese or Indians now are more worried about the Indonesian immigrants than anyone else. Thats how i see it from Dec 1970 when I came to KL untill 2006 when i got back to my hometown.

My conclusion: The May 13 1969 stories is not worth remembering or to be studied for it will cause more harm than good. It is an event where all Malaysian should be ashamed of to even mention the date. I dont want my children to even see it as part of history. I want them to see it as a clash between two secret socities. I agree with the government that banned all reading materials about the incidents since it was written from many different perspectives and people will argue untill the cows come home.

February 15th, 2007 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the great posts.

There will always be different versions of the story. I can’t agree with Middleage Citizen’s final point that the incident is not worth studying… but I do see a few good points like how education will change the thinkings and that the May 13 incident is not likely to happen again (though I can’t be 100% certain of it).

I came from a small village (at least it’s small when I was a kid)… and as mentioned, people mixed well regardless of races. The indifference of races was not felt by me until I reached university, which change my mindset a lot… that’s another long story.

Happy Chinese New Year btw, hope that the whole nation is going to enjoy the holiday :)

62. Cyril Says:
    March 5th, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Hmm… Interesting indeed, but I disagree that such things be banned from the population. I understand the controversy of such an issue and the risk by just talking about it, but it is possible that more than half the students in the state of Sabah will probably ask you “What is the May 13 incident?” if you talk about it. However, interesting things are we Sabahans (at least our grandpas and grandmas) still caught wind of the news and rumours about it.

To tell the truth, the incident 9at least to me) is clouded with truths and untruths since we don’t know really know what and why the incident happened in the first place. Now (after taking the pain of reading the main article and the comments) I seem to understand a bit, but it got me wandering. Why? Because things seemed to be so peaceful before that day… and suddenly things became so violent. Come on… don’t try to persuade me that because of a ‘parade’ things got out of hands (and from what I understand with the Malay drew first blood) so quickly.

In my opinion, the incident is likely to happen again if the population forgets about it. Very simple concept that I believe in is ‘human beings’ are more likely to repeat the same mistakes if they forgot about that incident. Example, I forgot my keys when I go to school for day 1 and vow not to forget about it. Half a year later, I forget about the keys again because I eventually forget about the incident in day 1 then I vow again, and forget gain. Apply this to the May 13 incident, notice a very dangerous cycle?

Well, off with my conspiracy theories. I believe that different races and religions can live in peace and harmony. To tell the truth, my family (not the atom unit) actually consists of all three religions and Malays, Bumis and Chinese. I myself am a Bumi, actually. Now, all of us live in peace with each other, of course there are arguments but most of them are about who’s a better singer in Akademi Fantasia and all that so I’ll skip that.

Now here I have a question for those who had been talking about this matter. It seems that many have been blaming one side or the other, but I failed to see the ‘root’ of all this matter… To me, the so called ‘roots’ presented seems to be so… trivial. Maybe because it’s the change in time and perspective, but still. Can somebody explain what was the main cause?

By the way, this is whole page of content is very educating in a sense. I’m glad that some people still try to at least remember, as, controversial or not, May 13th is still a part of our country’s history.

March 6th, 2007 at 1:32 am

Cyril… yes, it’s good to see the incident from different perspective, I’m glad that I started this post some months ago… I can’t be sure what’s the truth behind May 13, but the comments and stories from all contributors certainly open my mind.

64. Cyril Says:
    March 6th, 2007 at 5:24 pm

To tell the truth, I don’t think we’ll ever know with the government trying to hide the truth of May 13 incident all the time. What I am interested now is the mentioning of a ‘tape’ from that day. Though google, yahoo and MSN seems not able enough in finding that tape… Oh well.

To tell the truth, I myself haven’t even heard of such an event until I’m 15. The history teacher told us about this because she believes that we deserve to know what happened in the past. Too bad that most of the students these days considered history as ‘crap’.

March 6th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Don’t think such tape exist.

I am actually interested in what was written about the incident in the latest ‘social harmony book’ for university students.

66. Cyril Says:
    March 9th, 2007 at 6:27 am

Hmm… In that case… I can’t help you there. ^_^

67. Why? Says:
    March 20th, 2007 at 11:30 pm

yu are so courage to write this blog!! ok…u give me the courage, i give u the story. wat i will say here is wat i heard, i am not refering it from any official paper. so judge the story by ur own. i have no responsible of wat this is.

weeks before the election, the winning party had heard some trustable source from some good malay saying that some malays (probably those that are extremise) already prepare stocks of weapons, parangs, which if the election give ways to that party dominent by chinese, they will take action, a sudden genocide, which were planed to be started simultaniously throughout the whole country. Just imagin if all the sudden u try to tell people such a news, who will gonna believe you? so if u were them wat will you do to protect your family and all the chinese in malaysia from being massacred? so they sacrifice themself, the winning party ( their logo with back colour bull head in a red background, sorry that i dunno the name) start to humilate the malays in some area to provoke the fight first, which will then warn the chinese in other state to get ready to protect themself, so that to gain time before Malays get well prepared to do it simultaniuosly. just imagine if you already gain the wining vote in election, wat’s the point u try to streetfight with the malays? to get arrested? to get demolised? as a result, that’s why u never see a bull head logo party again…..(the logo look like that a party during anwar and reformasi period)

here is wat i heard from my father, he is 64 right now.my father were in Ipoh that time, he say that the malay surrounded chinese cinema. when chinese come out, they were slaughted one by one. In some area, children were said being throw up and killed with spear. if they are not well planed, where did all the weapon suddenly came from?

now i staying in penang. from wat told by those old penangities, the fight in penang started in KuantaHor Area ( i am not sure how to spell it, it’s a malay kampung where the P.Ramli Road is now). Those malay that fight chinese are not all came from that kampung, but were said to be trasported by lorries all the way from sg petani and other places in kedah, along with full lorries of parang… and to counterfight this, local chinese gangster stood up to fight, ofcourse with their weapon as well. some chinese gangster from perak were call upon to help, but only 1st batch (or few of them) get to arrive in penang. the others? were stop by police and wataniah soldier before entering penang. How can malay gangster from kedah get through while chinese were stoped? i think this is why according to witness in hospital, the 1st batch came in is chinese, 2nd is malays, and after that continued to be chinese, came in with gun wounds. are the uniform malay give some support too?

as for some parts in malaysia, there are good malay as well. Such as where my mother live… kuala Sanglang in perlis, a fishing village. just before the malays from kedah arrive, my moms family, which were good friend to the ketua kampung, were told to be hide in ketua kampung’s house. and lots of chinese hide in their malay friends’ house as well. see, they are fried, they help each other. when they came back to teir house, they found out that their wooden house become a ruin. they lost every precious belonging that thay not have time to carry along or hide up before they left their house to those kind hearted malay. no man were killed in that village luckily, thanks to those good friends.

if u are a human being, u will not kill ur friend, why is that happen all around in the country during 1969? if u say they fight as there are some misunderstand btw chinese and malay in KL, why it happen to all other villages? why anouce darurat? its because it was all being planed, malays were transported from one place to another to kill those are not their friend or sekampung.

here is some funny fact if u can go to survey around:
    the population ratio of malay:chinese “before and after” gaining independant, setting up the malaysia, and after the singapore being kick out.

chinese were once the majority group (slightly more then malay, which mean almost 50:50)(result from massive migration during english colonial period, for the labour to use in lombong) if not counting bumiputera from sabah and sarawak (which lots of them are not malay and muslim but counted as bumiputera). so try to figure out wat is the purpose of asking brunei, sabah, sarawak to join in malaysia and kick singapore the hell out of malaysia? and wat’s the pursose of giving the definition of bumiputera as those that are malay, indegenious people and also those that are muslim. and try to related it with this, why malay in malaysia is automatically become a muslim (born to be muslim), and if any non-muslim get to marry with them, they will become muslim, and eventually become malays( but during the time of kesultanan melacca, they will become peranakan, who can choose to follow their father’s religion). note that our beloved PM abdullah who has hainan-chinese blood inherited from his grand parent genertion, is he now a chinese or a malay? Do you heard of any chinese who were given a lot sum of money by ustat to change his religious into islam (eventually his children were all end up as “muslim”, are these Muslim counted as bumiputera in the statistic for who is the majoring group in malaysia?)? wat’s their purpose? why chinese population ratio reduce so fast within few decates? wat’s the purpose to introduce NEP? to give more ecnomical status to bumiputera? but why end up with lots of non-muslim bumiputera like those in sabah and those orang asli in cameron and johor suffering in poverty, large group of malay still remain as low middle class while only a small group of malays, who probably have some or little relation to politician, become super rich?
    bumiputra is/has become the term that being use/play by politician to acheive their purpose.

actually wat i speak here is an open secret amoung our father generation, but due to some reason , our parent were so scared to tell us all these, and even if they do, they mention not to be speak that isu in public area, or u will end up in jail. Actually after the incident of may 13, our malayisan chinese has turn out to become a cowords. they fight for their own rights before may 13, but stay quite being bullied by others after may 13 1969, after the living of singapore, and after the ISA.

there is a story say that a boy name ah beng was treathen by gangster that if he do not do as wat they say, they will killed his family, and they show him a little colour by killing his father, then ah beng keep quite and do as wat they say. and when time pass, he forget about that. but then the gangster bully him again and again, here and there, and ah beng try to speak alittle bit louder, then the gangster will agian remind ah beng that dun forget wat was happened to his father, ah beng then keep quite. wat do u think of this to may 13 and that politician trying to show a keris during a speach?

The fact is that we cannot do any thing legally now to change the situation. MCA have no choice also. if they walk out from parliment, along with those from DAP, the parliment can still keep on going as they have the minimum number. if u were them wat can u do? try to relate this to this….why during General election, MCA become braver to ask more for chinese comunity? yes, they wait and wait and wait until the time came, then we can do something for our people. they are smart, as it’s useless to fight severely and end up loosing ur stratergic level in parliment while the opponent can still cary on the parliment. even if u are PM adullah, you cannot change the situation as u alone is mr.clean but were to surounded by ugly politicians playing the term bumiputera or ketuanan melayu. they are now majority, with the help of the numbers of non-muslim bumi.

I do not write this to stir up the emotion, but to remind our self that who we are, why we must keep our mouth shut and dont provoke them again as we cannot change the situation or the fact d. wat we can do is to support those that are not so extreme and to wait for the great timing. of course dun forget to protect wat is still left for u. protect is the biggest thing we can do, urge for more? wait lah……. here, i write to protect our history being distorted. lots of street with chinese people name have chnged into malay name. wat do u read in history book of secandary school now regarding Kapitan melacca, tan cheng lock, tan siew sin and those chinese minister of finance, and those chinese contribute to built these country and protect this country during world war II? they take little and little out from the book, and we will end up chinese contribute nothing in historical class. dun wait untill the time come.

March 21st, 2007 at 12:15 am

Why?… thanks for the long post. I believe there are some exaggeration at some point, but I know what you are trying to point out mostly.

It’s true that most Chinese have become more ‘coward’ these days… the nicer word is perhaps more ‘cautious’. How could we not fear that history could repeat itself if the keris waving at important conference are allowed?

True about the history being altered little by little; I have history books from the late 70s, the 80s and then the 90s… it’s pretty obvious about the changes as you mentioned.

But seriously… what can we do???

69. opp Says:
    March 21st, 2007 at 12:16 am

dude

The army regiment was called the 9th Malay regiment if I am not mistaken.

This abstract from the wikipedia encyclopedia was on of the reasons it happened. Not everyone agreed for the parade to happen so go figure ..

‘and secured a police permit for a victory parade through a fixed route in Kuala Lumpur’.

70. Power Currupts Obsolutely Says:
    March 23rd, 2007 at 10:55 pm

I would like to give a bit of the background as to why May 13th happened. It has nothing to do with race. Its people in power who do not want to give up what they have thats caused all these AND it will happen again because the greed of people in power has NOT change.

The Malayan Communist were giving the Government (British) a hard time. The Government decided the best option out was to give Malaya Independence with equal rights to all three races. Only two persons – Tuanku Abdul Rahman and a traitor turned up in London to negotiated. TAR insisted on the formation of the Malay regiment. The traitor did not request for any concession nor object to TAR’s demand.

The 1969 general election was a very big occasion. The opposition won and was able to set up the Government with a coalition of opposition parties. While talking about who to be the new PM, a march around town was organized. It was very rowdy and noisy. It was a very proud day for the opposition especially the Chinese as the new PM could be within reached. The ruling Government was not ready to relinguish power yet and certainly not to a Chinese PM. Razak, musa Hitan, etc. put TAR on “house arrested”, the “red head” police confined in barrack and they sent in the Malay regiment.

This was all planned. Some Chinese who has closed Malay friends were told to close shop early that day and to go home. Two main areas were targeted that day – chow kit street and pudu. It was mass murdered and klang river was red in colour for many days. All the victims were Chinese. Later Chinese gangsters took revenge on some Malays around the china town area. Obviously fists against bullets were not match equally. Immediately, all the opposition were rounded up under ISA, emergency law was declared, and the ruling government continued in power. “Racial tension” was the official reason for May 13th but its so far from the truth.

TAR on his 80th birthday said he was very sad because he did wrong but was cut short on his speech. Frankly I believed he has no intention to cause May 13th but he did two very serious mistakes – on the formation of the Malay Regiment and for the mastermind in expelling Mr Lee and Singapore from the Federation. Those older Malays were testified to my saying that they the Malays actually attend, listen and applause to Mr Lee’s election speeches than to TAR’s.

March 25th, 2007 at 11:48 pm

PCO… you are not the first person to share this story with me. To be honest I found it hard to believe; like’s like suggesting George Bush was the culprit behind 9-11 bombing.

I understand that we can’t deny the possibility though… but I certainly hope things were not as you mentioned.

72. Power Currupts Obsolutely Says:
    March 26th, 2007 at 10:25 am

Jee, IMHO TAR was not the one who ordered the Malay Regiment out into the street to act against its own people. A group including Razak, Harun and Musa were the ones. That was why TAR was house arrested before and during the Riot. Immediately after, his power was curtailed and his position as PM was replaced by Razak. His intention to setup the Malay Regiment may be just to protect his kind should the Communists (mainly Chinese) become a problem after Independence. Only he himself knew his true intention but if he did not insist on his request for the Malay Regiment, then the Riot would be very difficult to succeed or even happen as the police and the other army regiments were based on all races. Just before the Riot, all police and other army were ordered back to their own barracks, weapons withdrew and confined not to leave. If these were not planned why should these happened just before the Riot? Just like the traitor who had a deal with TAR to benefit immensely himself from business dealings with TAR’s support and blessing. But both were wrong because the unequal power base was abused by others to commit untold stupidity on its own people. History changed from just this one selfish act and ALL Malaysian suffered and still suffering today.

March 26th, 2007 at 1:06 pm

It’s just a thinking. There are numerous hipotesis out there, but nobody other than the real culprits actually know what happened… and without solid proof, it remains plain rumours; and the government’s story will stay firm at it is.

Speaking of which, did the government ever released an official report about the incident to the public?

74. khairul Says:
    March 29th, 2007 at 2:10 am

a very interesting topic. looking forward to visit this blog again. it’s true when u said that there is lack of info in the textbook regarding this issue. it’s true that this is a VERY sensitive issue, but yet it is very crucial for us to know about May 13th incident.

It is actually simple [although difficult] to retain stability in our country. Besides fairness and squareness of the government towards us, Malaysians, we must also intergrate with other races. Don’t be prejudice to others. Remember that we are one. We are BANGSA MALAYSIA…

InsyaAllah, everything will be good…

p/s: do visit my blog too… :)

March 29th, 2007 at 10:47 pm

khairul… nice words. I do hope that we are Bangsa Malaysia as you mentioned… but quite often we are reminded by UMNO leaders that there’s no such thing as Bangsa Malaysia, irony isn’t it.

76. khairul Says:
    March 30th, 2007 at 12:19 am

yup..i agree with u.. although i am a malay, but i really want to see bangsa malaysia a reality. honestly, i think that umno leaders as well as their friends in BN only focused on politics rather than to build a better Malaysia. They keep arguing smong themselves to prove that they are the best.

We know that Bangsa Malaysia is the idea of Dr.M. But when Dr.M had a conflict with Pak Lah, current leaders of UMNO scrapped the idea of Bangsa Malaysia.

U know what, I live in Shah Alam, a city, but my relationship with other races is very good. Some of them are my bestfriends that we always hang out together, eat together and celebrate things together.

If only other Malaysians can be like me and my friends, I am sure that May 13th incident will never be repeated.

p/s: i am looking fw to be friends with u..hehehe…maybe we could exchange our views on some issues by email…what do u say?

March 30th, 2007 at 4:48 am

khairul… TheStar on Thursday (Mar 29) had a report about a survey done to group of teenagers; and the headline was that only 52% of the teenagers have a friend of a different races. Still a long way to go…

Contact me here.

78. khairul Says:
    March 31st, 2007 at 10:31 am

yup…still a long way to go.. one of the 9 challenges stated in the ’9 cabaran ke arah wawasan 2020′ is that to build up a Bangsa Malaysia consists of all races in our country by 2020.. but looking at the survey report, looks like it will not be a relity… :-(

March 31st, 2007 at 4:00 pm

It will be a blessing if the situation in 2020 is nothing worse than now… despite some trouble makers popping out once in a while, we are doing ok at the moment.

80. MIchael Says:
    April 7th, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Hey dude, i rececntly found out that my sister has a friend whose grandmother was part of the DAP party during the 1969 incident. She has a first hand account on the whole situation

April 7th, 2007 at 8:33 pm

MIchael… so, you want to share her handphone or what?

I can be contacted here…

82. shiver Says:
    April 15th, 2007 at 1:04 pm

hey jee

read up on malaysia today website. that will help you understand from raja petra’s view.

cheers

April 15th, 2007 at 10:51 pm

shiver… I treat his view just like other opinions here, with respect. I don’t really understand what you mean by understanding HIS view… he has his opinions, I have mine.

Thanks for the note though.

84. why? Says:
    May 12th, 2007 at 4:28 am

i Have found a latest article in malaysia kini that support my point of view that u said there are some exaggeration at some point. But the article is written in chinese… http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/67133

pls reply to my mail after read that article….would like to know what u think of that.

85. why? Says:
    May 12th, 2007 at 4:30 am

柯嘉逊引用英国政府解密文件
    印证513暴动乃推翻东姑政变
    07年5月11日 晚上9:41

1969年的513种族暴动事件的导因,至今仍是一个迷。根据官方说法,这场大马历史上最严重的骚乱事件导致196人丧命,惟其余的详情仍是笼罩在重重黑幕之中。

官方指出,这场暴动主要是由于以华裔为主的反对党支持者,为庆祝在1969年大选胜利而举行游行,挑衅失利的马来人及巫统所引发。

不过社会学者兼社运活跃份子――柯嘉逊博士(左图),却依据最近刚解密的英国驻马最高专员署人员的观察报告、外国通讯记者所撰写的新闻报告,以及外交圈子内流传的机密文件,得出有关513暴动实际上是一场有策划性的政变,以达至推翻当时的首相东故阿都拉曼的结论。

他重申,513事件是一项由当时刚崛起的马来资本家所策划的政变行动,并获得军方及警方的支持,以便从旧贵族的手中夺取权力,以推行新的马来人议程。

他已经将其研究结集成书――《513-1969年暴动之解密文件》,并将会在星期日于隆雪华堂正式推介。

暴徒受操纵,军警袖手旁观

也是新纪元学院院长的柯嘉逊,是在去年特地申请三个月的假期赴英,前往伦敦的公共档案局,研究这批摆脱30年保密条款,终见天日的官方档案。

柯嘉逊的结论与官方说法截然不同。他发现整起513事件并非是一项突然爆发的种族暴乱事件,反之却认为官方说法完全是一派胡言,根本没透露任何可靠的讯息,尤其是指责反对党是导致暴动发生的解释根本站不住脚。

“我的新著显示,该负责任的一方是巫统内部新崛起的国家资产阶级,是这股力量策划了这场政变。当时那些聚集在雪州大臣哈伦住家的人士,其实是拥有一个计划的。”

他指出,外交及情报档案已经显示这点,而官方历史应该揭露真相,而并非把罪名推给那些不应负上罪名的人士。

柯嘉逊揭露说,513事件是由政治人物所操纵的“马来暴徒”所引发的暴动。

他举例说,一批又一批的暴徒突然聚集在哈伦的住家,而当时警方及军人只是采取袖手旁观的态度,置之不理。

暴动之后,敦拉萨大权在握

此外,档案也显示,在暴动发生不到一个星期后,当时担任全国行动理事会主席一职的副首相敦拉萨已经大权在握,显示政变阴谋的确存在。

而在80年代才被突出的国家文化政策(在1971年正式宣布)已经在513的一个星期后被构思出来。这项具争议性的政策强调惟有回教及土著的文化元素,才属于国家文化政策,并一举掀开单元语文、教育及文化的论争。

柯氏也质疑军警人员在513事件中所扮演的角色。

“当时外交圈子议论说,为何在当日暴动发生时,敦拉萨曾经与军警总长会面,不过却没有采取任何行动。”

相反的,他指出大马的安全部队在围剿马来亚共产党的更艰难任务中,尤其是在紧急状态期间(1948-1960年)却以高效率见称。

因此柯嘉逊得出结论,即513暴动只是一场政变的烟幕。他并非是第一个指出513暴动实际上是一场政变的人士,不过却拥有官方的档案来印证这点。

这也是大马公众,首次可以接触到这批有关513事件的全面记录。一直以来,许多外国媒体有关的报道,皆被禁止进入国内,至于有关513事件的国内文件则少之又少。

真正的死亡人数仍是一个迷

不过,仍有一个513的谜团,就连柯氏的新著也无法揭开,即513事件的真正的死亡人数。根据官方数据,513暴动导致196人死亡、180被军火所伤,以及259人蒙受其他武器的攻击。至于,还有9143人则被逮捕,其中5561人被提控上法庭,6000人流离失所,至少有211辆交通工具以及753座建筑物被摧毁或破坏。

解密官方档案及当时的国际媒体报道认为,实际的死亡人数应该更高,不过他们也无法确定准确的数字,不过大家普遍认为多数的受害者是华裔

86. why? Says:
    May 12th, 2007 at 6:05 am

This is a malaysiakini report, May 11 2007

The series of events surrounding the ‘May 13′ riot has been documented by Dr Kua Kia Soong in his latest book May 13: Declassified Documents on the Malaysian Riots of 1969 which will be launched on Sunday in conjunction with the 38th anniversary of the tragedy.

This compilation, based on various sets of foreign dispatches and confidential reports at the time – which were declassified recently and made available at the Public Records Office in London – has been dubbed as the first credible account on the incident.

“The real circumstances surrounding the worst racial riot in the history of Malaysia have so far not been made available to the Malaysian public. The official version is fraught with contradictions and inadequacies to which few pay credence,” Kua wrote in the book.

Below are excerpts and summary of the chronology of events based on the declassified documents taken from Kua’s book:

May 10:

The ruling Alliance Party suffered a major setback in the general election although it had managed to retain a simple parliamentary majority. They had lost Penang to the Gerakan Party; Kelantan to the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party while Perak and Selangor were at the brink of falling into the opposition’s hands.

May 11 and May 12:

On both nights, the opposition celebrated their victory. A large Gerakan procession was held to welcome the left-wing Gerakan leader V David back from winning the federal seat in Penang.

May 13:

The MCA which had suffered badly at the polls, announced that it would withdraw from the cabinet while remaining within the Alliance.

A dispatch from a foreign correspondent showed it is evident that there was a plan for youths mobilised by Umno elements to assemble at then Selangor menteri besar Harun Idris’ residence in the late afternoon. A retaliatory march had been planned although police permission was withheld.

When people were still assembling for the parade, trouble broke out in the nearby Malay section of Kampung Baru, where two Chinese lorries were burnt. The ensuing carnage at Kampung Baru and Batu Road quickly spread elsewhere in Kuala Lumpur.

The foreign correspondent noted the curfew that was imposed was not fairly applied to all.

“In the side streets off Jalan Hale, I could see bands of Malay youths armed with parangs and sharpened bamboo spears assembled in full view of troops posted at road junctions. Meanwhile, at Batu Road, a number of foreign correspondents saw members of the Royal Malay Regiment firing into Chinese shophouses for no apparent reason.”

Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman immediately attributed the violence as triggered off by the behaviour of opposition supporters after the election result announcement while his deputy Tun Abdul Razak pinned the blame on the communists.

May 14:

The riots continued but on a smaller scale. The curfew was only lifted in staggered hours in various districts to allow people to buy food. The police called out all possible reserves and handed over the northern part of the city to the army.

Police put casualties for the previous night incident at 44 killed and about 150 injured. Another dispatch showed the casualties were mainly Chinese as it stated that out of 77 corpses in the morgue of the General Hospital on May 14, at least 60 were Chinese.

The government’s attempts to blame the communists for the riots were however not taken seriously by the officials at the British High Commission (BHC) who could see that the Tunku was not prepared to blame his own people for the riots, nor was he going to blame it on the Chinese “as a whole”.

May 15:

The King proclaimed a state of emergency. The National Operations Council headed by Tun Razak was formed. Tun Razak was still responsible to the Tunku, but all the powers under Emergency Regulations were vested in him.

The curfew had been lifted temporarily in Kuala Lumpur that morning but the situation had rapidly worsened and more sporadic fighting had broken out. Curfews were re-imposed but food was very short.

The local press was suspended until censorship regulations could be drawn up but no attempt was made to supervise reports sent out by foreign correspondents.

May 16:

The situation was still tense in Selangor with cars and houses being burned and fatalities rising. Death tolls had risen to 89 with over 300 injured. 24 hour curfew remained in force in Selangor and had also been imposed in Malacca. In Penang and Perak, the situation had improved although the curfew remained in force.

Tunku made a broadcast in which he announced the setting up of a National Defence Force to be manned by volunteers. The new information minister Hamzah Abu Samah and Tun Razak gave a press conference pinning the blame for the riots on communist infiltration of the opposition parties.

There were reports of looting by the largely Malay military and their bias against the Chinese Malaysians. Number of refugees were increasing.

May 17:

There were skepticism among British officers toward the official figures for fatalities and the preponderance of Chinese casualties among the dead. The police estimated the deaths at about 100 now while British officers estimated the proportion of Chinese to Malay casualties is about 85:15.

The press censorship invited criticism not only from the local press but also in diplomatic circles especially when official statements lacked clarity and credibility.

In a confidential BHC memorandum to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), the coup d’etat has been acknowledged and it has effected the transfer of power not only to “Malay hands” but also to the security forces. The latter’s professionalism is questioned.

The BHC also noted the Federal Reserve Unit, which at the time was multiracial in composition, was the more impartial of the security forces while the Malay troops were discriminatory in enforcing the curfew.

“Discriminatory takes the form, for example, of not, repeat not, enforcing the curfew in one of the most violently disposed of the Malay areas in Kuala Lumpur (Kampung Baru) where Malays armed with parangs, etc continue to circulate freely; with the inevitable result that gangs slip through the cordon round the area and attack Chinese outside it. In Chinese areas, the curfew is strictly enforced.”

May 18:

The Tunku qualified his earlier assertion that the disturbances were caused by communists, putting the blame instead on assorted “bad elements”. He also announced the deferment of the Sarawak elections and the continuance of the restrictions on the movement of foreign journalists.

The situation was still unsettled in some parts of the capital city.

May 19:

Less than a week after the riots, the reins of power had effectively passed to Tun Razak, indicating that there had been a plot to bring about the coup d’etat.

“The exact relationship between Tun Razak and the Tunku is not clear. In public Tun Razak says he is directly responsible to the Tunku but he has made it clear privately that he is completely in charge of the country. This could mean the beginning of a process of withdrawal by the Tunku as an effective PM”.

There are some 10,000 reported refugees. The local press was allowed to publish under censorship while foreign journalists had their curfew passes withdrawn. Some opposition politicians were arrested.

May 20:

In a meeting, an Australian High Commissioner had suggested the opposition leaders should be given a role as peace maker but Tun Razak and Ghazali Shafie were firmly against this. “They considered opposition leaders would simply use such an opportunity to promote their own political views.”

The Malaysian Red Cross Society is continuing its daily feeding programme for refugees in various places and over 5,000 had received food supplies.

May 21:

The official statistics of casualties at this juncture were 137 killed (18 Malays), 342 injured, 109 vehicles burned, 118 buildings destroyed and 2,912 persons arrested who were mostly curfew breakers.

May 23:

The declassified documents reveal that Malay troops were not only fraternising with the Malay thugs but were discharging their firearms indiscriminately at Chinese shophouses as they went through the city.

“When confronted by foreign correspondents with reports of racial discrimination, Tun Razak flatly denied them. Following this, curfew passes issued to foreign journalists were withdrawn and reporters were ordered to remain indoors ‘for their own safety’.”

A foreign correspondent’s report showed the Malay hooligans were detested by the law-abiding Malays of Kampung Baru.

Internal security and home minister Tun Dr Ismail indicated that the Internal Security Act would be in future amended to “counter changing communist tactics”. It was disclosed that of the 3,699 arrested during the crisis, 952 were members of secret societies.

May 24:

Law and order has been re-established in Kuala Lumpur and the atmosphere in the town had improved. People were going back to work (in non-curfew hours) and the government offices were limbering into action. The curfew remained in force (from 3pm to 6.30am of the following day). The government was not ready to admit that it was armed Malay youth who had caused the disturbances.

May 27:

The Tunku was under pressure to resign as he was clearly incensed by foreign journalists’ speculations about his weakening position and got his private secretary to write a protest note to the BHC.

May 28:

A confidential report by the BHC to the FCO on this day observed the government’s attempts to blame the communists for the disturbances were an attempt to justify their new authoritarian powers.

June:

The riots had been under control but they were still sporadic outbreaks of civil disturbances. A BHC report noted violence erupted again in one part of Kuala Lumpur on the night of June 28 and 29, a number of houses were burnt and the casualties were officially given as five killed and 25 injured. Some disturbances toward the end of June also involved ethnic Indians.

July:

Renewed trouble in which one policeman was killed was quickly stopped from spreading in Kuala Lumpur by positive police action.

Tun Ismail’s firm stand in ordering the security forces to act firmly ‘without favour or discrimination’ to any communal group and the Tunku’s announcement of a National Goodwill Committee made up of politicians of all parties went some way toward allaying the fears of the people.

Tun Ismail also revealed the total arrests since May now stood at 8,114, comprising people “from all the major racial groups”. Of these, 4,192 had been charged in court, 675 released on bail, 1,552 unconditionally released and 1,695 preventively detained.

Situation in the Peninsula had improved substantially but tension remains high in sensitive areas of Malacca, Perak and Selangor.

Tension had begun to ease until Malay agitation connected with Tunku’s return to a position of influence and the removal of Dr Mahathir Mohamad from Umno’s general committee on July 12 had heightened it again. Malay university students petitioned for Tunku’s resignation and demonstrated on the campus.

May 12th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for the article. I can forsee some huge responses from the current government leaders about his book… I hope Dr. Kua have enough facts to backup his claims.

88. ikhwan Says:
    May 15th, 2007 at 1:31 am

hmm, i see people like why?
    and other chinese keep blaming the malay for the riots, but after all you are chinese of course you are not blaming your own race.
    But do think why the riot only happen in the state that has significant chinese number , selangor, kl, perak and penang. Why is it not happening
    in the state of kedah, perlis (my state),
    kelantan terengganu or johor where the malay form the solid majority, If you think the malaymuslim are bloodthirsty and slayer of the innecont, why there were no riots in those state,because if the malay want o kill chinese, chinese minority at those state are soft target. why its only happen in place that have significant number of chinese? so who like to start fight.
    Dont forget in 4th may 1969 and 9th may 1969 that the chinese paraders (especially communist and gangster) have provoked the malay first with rowdy procesiion. u insult malay with racial slur everyday because malay wwre lagged behind in terms of education and economical. these chinese not ashamedly praded with the potrait of mao tse tung and praisin him (to show that they want to turn this country into a communist state).
    Finally the DAP and gerakan member paraded along roads near kampung baru and jeered at the Malay first shouting melayu balik kampung, pergi jahanam melayu, melayu sudah jatuh and bring large broom declaring that they swept the malay into village and jungle. So this is the last straw for the malays, for the malaysmuslim, its time to hit back, ‘u have insult us, provoked us, and ultimately, u want to seize the land of our forefathers from us, U will pay for every insult u made to our race,. I guess this is what every malay youth at that time say in their heart.
    Finally, on 13th May 1969 the chinese just reap what they sowed before.
    Why the chinese in kl dare to insult the malay residence in kampung baru? i can give the answer, it is because they are majority in kl so they believe that they were strong and they can insult the malay community and get away with that.
    I want to ask chinese in this blog ,did you hear any malay group in malay majority state prganised rowdy procession into chinese neighborhood and chanting anti chinese slogan or shouting ‘cina balik tongsan’ at that time?? of course not Because the malaymuslim had no desire to disturb any chinese who live peacefully in their state, we let u do business as u like and we keep buy from u (even though u always cheating). But if u mess with us, get ready to get ur ass kicked.
    The malay always silence even though they were insulted, being fooled and cheated. They will keep their feeling inside but it it wll stay in their heart like ‘api dalam sekam’, but once they could not hold their bitterness and anger anymore, those who mess with the will pay heavy price because when a malay ran amok, nothing could save u from him but Allah SWT Almighty only

May 15th, 2007 at 2:11 am

ikhwan… I will not kill anyone just because of the words from their mouth, no matter how insulting it is. Thanks for suggesting that Malays will run amok just because of this… but I believe that the majority Malays are more gentle people than you suggested.

Should Chinese be blamed for the incident? Ya, perhaps large part of the responsibility for triggering it… but that doesn’t rationalize any massacre that happen on May 13 and the following days.

This thread is getting long enough… I appreciate the comments, some of it has been enlightening; while some of the others just showed how racial disharmonial on both sides.

Fact is… there are no facts available. Unless I up my ante and start doing interviews and researches, the comments here are merely personal opinions.

Time to close this discussion here… thanks for all the writings and readings. If you feel that you have some great info to share, you are welcome to contact me. Comments closed.

90. Index on Censorship » Malaysia: changing the climate of fear Says:
    September 24th, 2008 at 6:46 pm

[...] some of the mainstream press and the ruling coalition. This brought to some minds the incident of 13 May 1969, Malaysia’s infamous race riots, which witnessed the loss of many [...]

91. To sell news shows, newspapers, magazines | Among the key features of Google Finance are: Says:
    March 1st, 2014 at 7:21 am

[...] supporting genocidal ideology; they threatened anyone who opposed the Hutu power movement. Any incident happening inside the world comes out in a very moment by using different sources. 0 onwards, and also news [...]

These parents should be jailed
I forgot to get a toll ticket
I should stop working after 8pm
Visit Malaysia 2007 is not starting too well
Country road.. take me home