Bak ChangIs there any official English name for Bak Chang? Rice dumplings? Meat dumplings? Rice and meat dumplings? Or the official English name is really the simple Bak Chang?

We make our own Bak Chang at home for the the Dragon Boat Festival since I was a child, making Bak Chang is one of the very few cooking skill that I can be proud of lol.

Since my mum moved to stay with my bro in Kuala Lumpur, sometimes she cannot celebrate or worship the Chinese gods and ancestors at hometown (Ipoh) and thus had to make it earlier for those ceremonies.

As said, this year mum had to make the Bak Chang for the Dragon Boat Festival a bit earlier. Normally I would be at home to help out but I was just too lazy tired for the weekend, so I stayed in KL instead.

My sis from Penang was back in Ipoh, and my cousins next door were probably helping as well.. so we had enough hands perhaps.

Honestly the Bak Chang we made were never really good, lots of Bak Chang that were sold elsewhere taste better.. but there’s always a kind of feeling when you eat something you make, and yes I love our Bak Chang, no other Bak Chang can subsitute the satisfaction in the end.

Bak Chang

So I have some Bak Chang with me now, which my mum brought back from Ipoh. I’m going to be a happy boy when I wake up tomorrow, with Bak Chang ready on the table for breakfast, lunch and dinner lol.

13 Responses to “Homemade Bak Chang”

1. Yvy Says:
    May 22nd, 2006 at 9:46 am

WAHH!!! i oso wan…..i love bak chang. especially the one with the salted eye yolk – aiyoo….MY FAVOURTIE!!! :D

2. Tanya Says:
    May 22nd, 2006 at 3:57 pm

I have no idea what Bak Chang is :( Enjoy it though!

3. Chen Says:
    May 22nd, 2006 at 6:29 pm

dragon boat festival coming soon.. very soon :)
    I missed those days helping my mum wrapping up bak zhang..
    that was more than a decade ago already :)

4. aprilcherrie Says:
    May 22nd, 2006 at 10:50 pm

hmm.. hmm. i miss making Bak Chang too…..

May 23rd, 2006 at 12:49 am

Yvy.. salted york high cholesterol, homemade no need lar.

Tanya.. Bak Chang is ermm.. stuffing glutinous rice and pork into wrappred bamboo leave and steam/cook. Early days Bak Chang and sweet dumplings were used for Chinese May’s Dragon Boat Festival only, but we can find Bak Chang in lots of places everyday now.

Chen.. a decade ago is quite sometime, perhaps you should make some Bak Chang again this year. Btw glad that you enjoy your Thai trip.

Cherrie.. ermm.. why not make it this year? Arhh and congrats again on your.. you know lar.

6. Yvy Says:
    May 23rd, 2006 at 8:20 am

Jee : Eerrmmm…I dont really care wor. I wont be able to get it once I’m 6ft under so might as well indulge myself while I still can. :D Great food philosophy right? lol

May 23rd, 2006 at 1:06 pm

That’s what I always tell myself lol.. just that salted york is not my favorite only.

8. Yvy Says:
    May 23rd, 2006 at 1:17 pm

hahaha….it’s my most-est favourite bit…i normally cheat when i eat moi (porridge), take the yolk n leave the white behind n then can hear my mum telling her head off…lol ;P

May 23rd, 2006 at 7:46 pm

Now that’s idiotic Yvy :p

btw my stomach is twisted now, probably too much Bak Chang in 2 days.

WARNING for people who have gastric or stomach problems, Bak Chang are bad for stomach bcoz of the glutinous rice.

10. Royalbuff Says:
    June 4th, 2006 at 5:48 pm

Hi jee, living away from Malaysia for years; reading your blog makes me want bak chang now! ;)

June 4th, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Royalbuff.. where are you living now? Any Chinatown nearby?

12. The food to die for | Jee’s Life Says:
    June 13th, 2007 at 1:03 pm

[…] It’s the season of Bak Chang. […]

13. Paulus Says:
    February 27th, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Where can i get bak chang in ipoh guys? Is there any stall that selling bak cang?