Kanamara MatsuriSome friend sent me this naughty picture, which was taken in a yearly fertility festival held at Kanamara Shrine in Kawasaki, Japan, dated back since 1600s.

It’s named Kanamara Matsuri, Festival of the Steel Phallus, or simply Kanamara Penis Festival. I did some Googling, it’s said that the event is use for raising funds in HIV research nowadays.

Related merchandize like amulets, candies and lollipops are made for the celebration as well.
penis-lollipop.jpg

Seems like a fun event to attend lol..

21 Responses to “Kanamara Matsuri, Japan festival”

1. steveVAI Says:
    May 10th, 2006 at 11:15 pm

Yea I know about this since quite long ago through a Japanese blog, try this [18SX] =]

May 11th, 2006 at 8:56 am

haha yeahh what a festival indeed..quite a lot of cultures in the world do celebrate something associated with the great big dick hahaha…i saw before in this documentary that this dunno african or south american tribe, their men would gather once a yr or what and go masturbate at the river…yesh at the river and dump their ejaculations into the river!! wahhhhh

May 11th, 2006 at 12:44 pm

steve.. you are knowledgable arh, or you purposely go to look for news like this :p

Joshy.. erww, that sounds so less fun compared to Kanamara Matsuri, imagine.. wait, I don’t even want to imagine.

4. steveVAI Says:
    May 11th, 2006 at 2:58 pm

it’s quite sad to see the real Japan, the not covered up Japan, through that blog =] But so who am i to judge =/

May 11th, 2006 at 5:35 pm

Jee: hahaha yeah i noe..haha disgusting right..haha the things i like abt japan is that they can make almost anything cutesy…haha imagine a phallic cutey keychain??haha

6. Yvyw Says:
    May 11th, 2006 at 5:55 pm

hhmmm…i guess humans releasing in the river aint too bad…

wanna know why the sea is salty? hehehe….. [go figure, if not i’ll tell u tomorrow].

:P

ppss…wat fonts are u using in this template? i love it!!

May 11th, 2006 at 8:25 pm

steve.. ermm what’s the real Japan? You mean the AVs or what that sadden you?

Joshy.. yupe that’s the majestic of Japanese, they seems to know how to make things look good.

Yvy.. I actually got some good scientific answer, but I think you will give me an even better answer ain’t so?

I’m using Verdana btw.

8. steveVAI Says:
    May 11th, 2006 at 10:37 pm

Err the blog said, not the usual japan seen on CNN, Yahoo, or Google..

9. ade Says:
    May 12th, 2006 at 1:17 am

For some unfathomable reason, I can’t stoplooking at the pic…

May 12th, 2006 at 5:13 pm

steve.. definitely not the Japan seen on CNN, but it’s not actually that secretive about what they mentioned. Ermm maybe you are younger that my generation, those days we read a lot about Japanese culture.. now probably everyone is interested in Korean perhaps..?

ade.. you must stop. Serious wahahaha..

11. Yvy Says:
    May 16th, 2006 at 9:25 am

aiyoo…forgot to give u the answer. lol :P are u sure u wanna know??

all i can say is, dont swallow seawater……there are a lot of BIG FISH in the sea and well, they need to release too! lol ;P

[i’m so bad!!]

May 16th, 2006 at 4:47 pm

come to think of it Yvy.. have you ever watched a whale poo poo? Despite multiple National Geographic or Discovery show on whales.. we never really seen a whale shitting right?

ermm something worth wondering..

13. Chen Says:
    May 17th, 2006 at 6:54 am

Hahha… there are all sort of interesting events worldwide.. :D This one is one of the “weird” one… :D

14. Yvy Says:
    May 17th, 2006 at 8:39 am

eeehh…you’re right, jee….it’s true. i’ve never seen whale poo-poo. i bet it’s just like fish poo-poo though except maybe it’s a lot bigger n longer???

May 18th, 2006 at 2:12 am

Chen.. sounds fun right? Next time I must go and take some photos myself, and have some special candies.

Yvy.. ehh dunno, should be lar, but I don’t want to imagine at all lol.

16. ganchan Says:
    May 18th, 2006 at 9:37 pm

I was actually working in Kawasaki earlier this year. I stayed all the way from mid Jan right through to the end of March. I came back just before the sakura were in full bloom T_T The blooming of the sakura coincides with alot of interesting things like this kanamara matsuri. I’m kicking meself for not extending my stay to see all these >_

May 19th, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Ha ganchan, all the wrong timing, too bad. Still it must be a great experience working in Kawasaki, the experience of working oversea is something memorable enough.

Still got chances to see all these, no worries :)

18. ganchan Says:
    May 19th, 2006 at 5:58 pm

yess..working in japan is an eye opening experience in more ways than one heheheh ^_^…..I certainly had more fun compared to when I was in the ‘States over a year ago. Getting around is so much easier.

May 20th, 2006 at 11:53 am

I also dream of staying in Japan for a few months, it will be challenging to coup with their living standard though.. staying in Japan is not cheap at all.

20. yooko Says:
    December 30th, 2006 at 6:14 pm

oh my good…this festival is disgusting for every womens;/it is discriminacion for us!

December 30th, 2006 at 8:30 pm

yooko… the festival has been running for centuries; the purpose of the celebration has definitely change.

See it from a different perspective, it could be a fun event and it’s raising funds for charity.