[Sabah trip, 29-Mar-2006] Woke up 1am in the morning, ready to conquer the peak of Mount Kinabalu. I felt strange..

Even when sitting on the bed I had to take continuos deep breath, my heart was bumping like bull rushing and I felt like wanted to vomit.

Not sure if it was mountain sickness, or over-exhaustion, or as my friend suggested panic attack (I don’t think so).. whatever it was, I was not feeling well.

I took some pills and some hot drink try to make me feel better, it didn’t really work.. I had a decision to make, to climb or not to climb.

At first I thought of giving up, but with some encouragement from my buddies, and that we wanted to celebrate one of our mate’s birthday at the peak, I decided to hang on and hike the mountain.

It’s 230am, the Mt Kinabalu Summit Trail was opened for hiking.. it’s going to be a 3 hours hiking up, and I was going for it despite the ill feeling..

Things obviously didn’t went as well as I wished, just after 5 minutes of walking I almost lost my step.. I couldn’t really stayed focus and suddenly I realized how dangerous it could be to climb to the peak with my condition.

I’d to call it a quit. I wished my friends luck and strolled back to my room. At that moment I was not sure how I felt, I was just so blur and couldn’t even climbed up a double decker bed. I was not sure if I slept or fainted, the next thing I remembered was waking up at around 5am.

Feeling slightly better I walked out of the dorm, the sky was clear and full of stars, it’s so beautiful.. and I wondered where were my friends then, were they at the peak yet, or still trying their best to do so.

At that moment I started to felt a bit regret and disappointed, I probably could have tried just a bit harder.. or maybe not. A song suddenly rang in my mind, it’s weird but I bursted into laughter, with no one around.

Ya.. it’s “Bad Day” by Daniel Powter..

BAD DAY by Daniel Powter

Where is the moment we need at the most
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost
They tell me your blue skies fade to grey
They tell me your passion’s gone away
And I don’t need no carryin’ on

You stand in the line just to hit a new low
You’re faking a smile with the coffee to go
You tell me your life’s been way off line
You’re falling to pieces everytime
And I don’t need no carryin’ on

Cause you had a bad day
You’re taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don’t know
You tell me don’t lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don’t lie
You’re coming back down and you really don’t mind
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

Well you need a blue sky holiday
The point is they laugh at what you say
And I don’t need no carryin’ on

You had a bad day
You’re taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don’t know
You tell me don’t lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
The camera don’t lie
You’re coming back down and you really don’t mind
You had a bad day

(Oh.. Holiday..)

Sometimes the system goes on the blink
And the whole thing turns out wrong
You might not make it back and you know
That you could be well oh that strong
And I’m not wrong

(yeah…)

So where is the passion when you need it the most
Oh you and I
You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost

Cause you had a bad day
You’re taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don’t know
You tell me don’t lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day
You’ve seen what you like
And how does it feel for one more time
You had a bad day
You had a bad day

(lyrics from letssingit.com)

I went back to my room, packed myself and took some more rest.. and was woke up by some noices at around 7am. Some other hikers were coming back from the peak after the sunrise.

Mount Kinabalu

I walked to out of the dorm, the sky was blue, the air was cool.. life was beautiful. Suddenly it appeared that I wasn’t that disappointed after all, it’s just a bad day but still many days to come.

I gave myself a grin, next year.. next year I will be back again, with better fitness and preparation.. and next year, I will make it to the peak of Mt Kinabalu, and I swear I will.

20 Responses to “A bad day at Mt Kinabalu”

1. CK Says:
    April 19th, 2006 at 11:14 am

Hi, sometime you need some luck to climb the Mt.KK, the first time i climb the Mt.KK, i also faced the big storm, i can’t say it’s bad luck for 6 of us, cause we are about 50Metres to Laban Rata, but if we climb more fastest, then we can avoid the storm. But if compare to your case, i would say that i’m more lucky than you : D .

Anyway, i didn’t make it to the peak on the first climb, but did make it to the peak after 4 month on that year 2004 and bring my brother and sister who can’t make it on the first climb to conquer it on 15/4/06 with two 59 years old uncle and the luck is on our side this time, we all make it to the peak and the day is very clear and very nice view.

I think you can conquer Mt.KK in next climb :D, but must get good preparation, cause non of my group member face any problem till reach the Laban Rata.

April 19th, 2006 at 11:49 am

Thanks for your story CK.. lol I know I am not alone.

I think I can conquer Mt Kinabalu next climb, with this experience and better preparation.. I am pretty sure I can do it.

The only regret is the difficulty to get buddies to climb the mountain, everyone is working and not easy to get leave at the same period.

3. Tracy Says:
    April 20th, 2006 at 3:48 pm

hi 2 bad u didn’t go up but u made d right choice. with ur condition it would hav been dangerous. my mom n her fren didn’t make it 2. jz try ur luck again next time. at least u got a cert rite?

i made it 2 d top with loads of help from my guides. they really did help a lot. i don’t think i would hav made it if it weren’t for them.

Were ur guides duis, john n sablin? they were really helpful!
    it’s amazing how one of my guides can climb up 2 laban rata wearing only slippers, i mean….wow. can u believe that?

r u goin again next year? rmb 2 go somewhere near april. i went hiking there on apr 13 n 14 n d weather was really perfect for our hike. i hope i can go back there again. that place was really beautiful. good luck 2 u

April 21st, 2006 at 1:41 pm

Tracy.. yes I still got a plain cert, it’s not a bad achivement, I just have to try it someday again.

We only got Duis as guide, how did you get 3? And yes, Duis was a nice person.

I will be going to Mt Kinabalu again latest by next year, I’ll take note of your advice, thanks.

And congrats on getting to the top Tracy :)

5. Tracy Says:
    April 21st, 2006 at 6:58 pm

thank u . we got three guides cuz my group got a total of 16 ppl goin up.

remember 2 go more slowly, no use rushing if u’ll b exhausted d next day
    i think i took 10 hrs to reach laban rata from d mesilau trail,i know it was 2 long but i was following my parents up n mymom wasn’t feeling 2 well. but we did made it b4 dark . what a relief.

April 21st, 2006 at 8:15 pm

16 people? You must be following a tour or something?

Actually we walked slow enough, most of us took 8-9 hours to get to Laban Rata as well.

It’s the thin air that s*cks, wonder if there’s any solution other than to train up our stamina our lungs capicity lol.

7. Tracy Says:
    April 22nd, 2006 at 12:48 am

there is . take a tank of oxygen d next time u go up . ppl do that, u know. i saw a couple taking breaths out of it at d summit.

April 22nd, 2006 at 2:23 pm

That’s what I thought at the first place, an oxygen tank lol.. but felt that it’s probably a bit outrageous and forgot about it.

Not sure if pure oxygen could help, it might be more of the air pressure than the lack of oxygen.. dunno.

9. Tracy Says:
    April 23rd, 2006 at 4:25 pm

mayb….
    when i was hiking up 2 laban rata i kept having this headache, luckily it was jz a mild 1 n it was gone d next day.

10. Tracy Says:
    April 23rd, 2006 at 4:34 pm

it’s been fun talking 2 some1 who hike up to mt kk b4. thanx for ur reply’s back. most of my frens jz don’t seem interested in it.
    arrrr…..dunno la. thanx again

April 24th, 2006 at 11:57 am

It’s fun sharing travel experience with people too.. perhaps you should consider blogging and share your experience online as well? :)

12. Tracy Says:
    April 24th, 2006 at 2:06 pm

i’m not much of a blogger. i’ll consider it though

April 24th, 2006 at 2:11 pm

Well blogging is just simply posting the things that you like and share with others.. no big dea.

Off course that’s matter of choices and preference for different people, myself I am happy just to keep a note on what I’ve done.. I have the habit to write diaries offline before started blogging anyway.

14. lee Says:
    September 28th, 2006 at 4:07 pm

With good preparation and determination surely you will did it.
    ( jogging and hiking, very important must train…)

I went up with my family and relative this year Aug., our girl 9 year old and my boy 10 year old managed to go up also.

We are planning next trip will start from mesilau trail..

September 28th, 2006 at 11:54 pm

You have 2 good kids lee. Yupe preparation is needed, I am preparing to go there again next April, next time I will make it.

16. Tan Says:
    October 12th, 2006 at 2:09 pm

I climb mount kinabalu on 8th Oct. 2006. Actually, i didn’t do much preparation. I only climb my office staircase from ground floor to 13th floor every day for 2 months and jogging for 2 weeks. I can climb up to laban rata but a bit exhausted. My knee and leg didn’t feel any pain, but i didn’t climb up to the peak bcause my husband not feeling well and i don’t have enough confident to climb up to the peak. The next day down hill everything is ok until i walk until 4km (left 2km to head quarter) my left knee fell very pain, i cannot bend my knee must straighten it otherwise it will be very pain. My mountain guide spray some medicine and put a bandage to my knee. I walk slowly finally i reach downhill. Must prepare a hiking pole or u can buy there RM3 only for 1 wood stick. I will try next time with more preparation, do more exercise. Bye.

October 13th, 2006 at 11:56 am

You can make it next time Tan. You are right, a hiking pole or wood stick is essential especially for those that are not very strong physically.

18. Ben Says:
    November 1st, 2007 at 12:10 am

Hey , Jee . MAy god bless you for the next climb . I would like to climb the mt.kinabalu as well . but dont know much on pre-preparation. kindly advise me if possible.
    TQ.

November 1st, 2007 at 5:08 pm

Ben… you are probably asking the wrong person for advice lol.

You need to be fit.

If you are going on rainy season… bring along rain coat, wrap your cloths in plastic bags before putting into your bag.

Drink a lot of water on the way… dehydration was probably part of the reason why I failed last time.

Bring extra batteries for your torch light.

Enjoy your trip.

20. zila Says:
    July 19th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

stumble across your blog while googling “how to train for mount kinabalu”

i must say u write well. i enjoyed reading your blog

anyway, i know it was 5 years ago that you climb mount kinabalu. just to share, i didn’t reach the peak on my first climb in 2010 and even worse on my second climb in 2011! crazily dissapointing man! but what to do, u just climb it again anyway, because the view is the best! :)