Not much people that I personally know are following Winter Olympics.. well it’s understandable as the winter sports are not a familiar activities in Malaysia. Those that are interested might not have the luxury to watch the Olympic telecast because of working..

In Malaysia we don’t have snow, with the exception of the highest peak of Mt. Kinabalu. We have tropical sun all year round and we only have a few of indoor skating “park” for recreation purpose, winter sports development is not a priority here.

I did however read on newspaper that we have at least one or two ice-hockey team in Malaysia, led by a few Malaysians that came back abroad.

Probably Malaysians can be a bit more ambitious as this year 2006 Winter Olympic at Torino Italy, we are seeing representatives from African Nations Algeria and Ethiopia, from Middle-East Iran and Carribean Bermuda.

Maybe one day we will have some Malaysian Winter Olympians, who knows?

I love watching Winter Games probably since 1990, that’s always something new for me and I love discovery of new things.

Games like biathlon, curling, speedskating, figure skating, bobsleigh and ski jumping are rarely seen even on tv, making this 4 years event an interesting exploration for me.

Enough mumbling.. probably not much of you know what I am writing anyway lol..

25 Responses to “Malaysians and Winter Olympics Torino”

1. Malaysia Property Says:
    February 18th, 2006 at 11:16 am

hey..i watched it and I love the snow….

yesterday have Snowboard cross, a new event…wow..it is just great sport, 4 racing together and could knock down your opponent with your board to win….haha…it is fun watching…

in the Snowboard cross women, the US candidate was sure to win, but she lansi on the last jump (she did a grab), then fall, then the 2nd chase up with her…haha…lost a gold because of lansi attitude

February 18th, 2006 at 12:02 pm

lol I missed this one..

Winter Olympic is a bit special having some games that I thought will only see in X-Games.. truely entertaining for me :)

3. tanya Says:
    February 18th, 2006 at 6:01 pm

Omg, Jee! I’ve been watching the Winter Olympics every single day since it started man! Are they showing it on Astro or sumthin?!?!

I loooooove the winter olympics. I personally find it more watchable than the summer olympics.

February 18th, 2006 at 6:43 pm

Yes Tanya.. Astro is having 3 special channels for it, pretty coool huh? :)

btw just watched the highlights and got the blooper that Malaysia Property mentioned.. and they put the song “American Idiot”, that was so funny.. poor girl to lost a gold because of showing off, what a lesson.

5. tanya Says:
    February 18th, 2006 at 9:14 pm

Yeah….Swiss got the gold then. The american girl must be kicking herself..hehe. Too bad. :(

February 19th, 2006 at 12:45 am

Well I managed to dig more news about the event..

The US girl is 20 years old Lindsey Jacobellis.. yes it was a stupid mistake but winning an Olympic silver medal for your country is a great achievement nonetheless.

And read this.. she once cut short her hair to make a wig for cancerous kids, that’s touchy.

So my heartiest congrats to Lindsey and wish her all the best in the next Olympic.

Also the Swiss gold medalist is Tanja Frieden.. her US boyfriend also won the same event, cool isn’t it?

That’s not the end of this amazing final.. I have story for the bronze medalist Canadian Dominique Maltais.

Maltais crashed badly in the mid of the race, but she rised back up and finished the place in pain although thinking that she won’t get any medals..

Maltais did however won the bronze because the 4th finalist fellow Canadian stumbled in an even horrific fall and was sent to the hospital (she was confirmed fine)..

What an interesting day for Winter Olympic :)

7. moses Says:
    February 19th, 2006 at 4:43 am

Since Michelle Kwan didn’t participate this year..i gave the olympics a pass
    lol

February 19th, 2006 at 6:55 am

Yes moses.. I was a bit disappointed too.. how much I wish for her to win a farewell gold medal to her outstanding career. No luck.

9. ganchan Says:
    February 19th, 2006 at 8:02 am

I’m in Japan at the moment, and it’s quite a big thing for people here because Japanese athletes are involved. I didn’t really care much about it until I watched a pre-Olympic documentary detailing the struggles of 2 of the Japanese women figure skaters trying to qualify for the Olympic selection.

Needless to say, I’m hooked, and I’m eagerly awaiting the start of the women’s figure skating competition.

moses, if you’re thinking of giving up on it just because Michelle Kwan is not competing, you don’t know what you’re missing.

IMHO Michelle, while very good, has not been at her best for a long time already. Perhaps you can blame the American media for hyping her up as a certain gold prospect if she had competed, but I seriously doubt that she would have won even if she wasn’t injured. There are other better might-have-beens.

The best women’s figure skater in the world isn’t competing in Torino at the moment, and it isn’t Michelle Kwan; it’s “underaged” 15 year old Mao Asada, the 1st female to land a quadruple jump in competition. She apparently also the first female to complete a triple flip, triple loop, triple toe loop combination, becoming the first female in the world to perform this sequence..and she did that when she was 12.

Even without Mao, the Japanese already have a huge talented pool of female skaters and the present scoring format will certainly give them a an advantage as it emphasizes technical ability. The Japs excel at this and I’m sure it will be breathtaking to watch.

Lets not forget too that there are other great skaters too from other countries, like Irina Slutskaya (2nd best after Mao). I think Irina has been the favourite to win the gold ever since it was announced Mao was not competing; not Michelle….^_^

February 19th, 2006 at 7:12 pm

ganchan.. I agree with you, Michelle Kwan is no longer at her best and I doubt she can win the gold, but if she is still in Winter Olympic, at least there’s hope.

This is the first time I heard of Mao Asada, thanks for the great piece of info.. so Olympic got an age requirement or what? If not then why Mao is not in Turin?

And enjoy your stay in Japan :)

11. ganchan Says:
    February 19th, 2006 at 8:28 pm

Hi Jee,
    From what I understand about the new scoring format, it was introduced to minimize those fuzzy “artistic” mumbo jumbo that led to all that corruption in the judging of figure skating. A side effect of this is that there is a greater emphasis on more easily “quantifiable” aspects of figure skating, namely, the technical proficiency. IOW, the ability to execute a quadruple salchow cleanly is more effective that how “graceful” or “charming” one looks. Just look at how Evgeni Plushenko utterly crushed the competition in the men’s event.

Even if Michelle Kwan were at her so-called “best” she would probably be hard-pressed to match the current crop of skaters because her technical ability was never her strong point IINM. Yup, it was her artistic “grace” and “charm” which helped her and it is exactly those factors which are being nullified this time around.

Irina Slutskaya the 7 time European champion is favoured to win. Of the 3 Japanese ladies, Arakawa Shizuka is most favoured to land a medal (she dethroned Michelle 2 years ago at the World Championships with a technically perfect score), but all three are legitimate medal contenders. Ando Miki is famed for her quadruple salchow (she’s the only female skater to have successfully attempted it), though some people think that lately she’s gotten too “fat” to attempt that successfully ^_^
    Last but not least is Suguri Fumie, who is supposed to be the most consistent finisher of the 3.

Right now, the American media are trying to build up Michelle’s replacement Emily Hughes, and are probably hoping for some sort of fairytale ending for her (fairytale endings are good for business) but frankly speaking, there’s no way that she is in Sasha Cohen’s (the best American contender) league. She’ll be lucky if she finishes 4th

12. ganchan Says:
    February 19th, 2006 at 8:34 pm

oops I stand corrected, Mao Asada was the first female skater to perform *2 triple axels* in competition :P

February 19th, 2006 at 10:00 pm

ic ic.. good points.. I don’t really understand the scoring format, I always think that the more you turn, the better the score lol. Errm seems like I was half correct, brilliant :p

I must check the schedule on the figure skating, I always just sit down and punch on the controller to grab whatever it is showing.

14. Munoe Says:
    February 20th, 2006 at 8:14 pm

Mount Kinabalu the highest peak in Malaysia is BELOW the snowline. There is no snow at the peak of the mountain, just rocks.

February 21st, 2006 at 12:43 pm

Munoe.. what do you mean below the snowline?

Mt Kinabalu doesn’t have regular snowfall and will never be like Alps or Fuji.. however lucky climbers can see some tiny bit of snow once in a while, and it’s probably the only place that natural snow can be found in Malaysia.

16. ganchan Says:
    February 22nd, 2006 at 7:51 am

heh…I watched a portion of the women’s figure skating program this morning. I managed to catch Sasha Cohen’s and Suguri Fumie’s routines, but just missed out on Shizuka Arakawa’s. No big surprises here: top 4 are Cohen, Slutskaya, Arakawa and Suguri. They’re the only ones who scored more than 60 points, and only separated by the closest of margins (especially the top 3)
    Emily Hughes didn’t exactly bomb, but as expected, her best wasn’t good enough – she’s way down at 7th

February 22nd, 2006 at 12:10 pm

Haven’t watched the figure skating yet.. I think it was scheduled at Tuesday evening in Torino, which means early morning in Asia (very very early perhaps)..

Will catch the highlights and replay, hopefully can catch up :)

February 22nd, 2006 at 6:37 pm

Just watched the replay for women’s short program.. it’s a WOW show, absolutely entertaining!

ganchan.. as what you said that’s a huge gap between the best few and the rest, absolutely true.

I think Cohen actually did much better and deserved a bigger advantage over Slutskaya.. the Japanese girls are good technically but the skating and movement is not as elegant as the leading duo.

The free skate will be on Thursday.. hopefully we will see more competition :)

19. ganchan Says:
    February 22nd, 2006 at 8:30 pm

yah.. the Japanese girls are excellent technicians, but have always been considered a bit “lacking” in that elegance thingy. Suguri was probably the most expressive and consistent of the three but her jumping is not as spectacularly powerful as her 2 compatriots. Arakawa skated the most technically difficult program of the top 4 today and made just one minor error. If not her points would have been higher too. The Japanese will be relying on their technical excellence for their extra edge. No need for kung fu if you’re packing an auto-cannon…:P

20. ganchan Says:
    February 24th, 2006 at 7:43 am

Arakawa Shizuka gets the gold! As expected, she skated a technically challenging program and was able to pull off her jumps well. Sasha Cohen and Irina Slutskaya on the other hand, both buckled under pressure and imploded. A pity for Fumie Suguri though: she had a chance to at least get bronze and skated without major mistakes, but her lack of spectacular jumping meant that she was unable to overtake Slutskaya or Cohen. She was on the verge of tears when she was interviewed by the TV crew.

February 24th, 2006 at 12:28 pm

It was an amazing performance from Arakawa.. it’s flawless and stunning.

I bet that Sasha Cohen or Slutskaya will still lose to Arakawa even if they didn’t fall.

Well for Suguri she gave a good performance, that’s nothing to regret about.. sometimes we just have to accept the fact that there are people who are better.

22. ganchan Says:
    February 24th, 2006 at 12:58 pm

looks like some in the American media are suffering from a case of sour grapes right now :P Some are more or less trying salve their disappointment by saying Shi-chan was not as spectacular as past (american) champions, but let’s face it: she had what it takes, and Sasha and Irina didn’t …heheheheh :P

February 24th, 2006 at 1:19 pm

Serious? :o

Well the press might be true, there was no triple-triples this year as their past 2 winners did.. so what? Fact is, the gold medal is hanging around the Japanese neck.. end of story :p

24. ganchan Says:
    February 24th, 2006 at 3:12 pm

yah…if you’re good enough to make a former 2 time Olympic champion (Katarina Witt) jump to her feet to give a standing ovation even before you’re done, that’s got to count for something :)

February 27th, 2006 at 4:55 pm

So the Winter Olympic has ended, spent too much time on these 2 weeks watching the show on tv.. lots of catchup needed lol.

So it’s a farewell to Torino, see you Canada in 4 years time.